Monday, March 10, 2008

What A Day—Now I’m Pregnant?

It started out just like any other day. But it’s a day I will long remember.

Today was supposed to be my lab work and consult with the doctor of the day starting about 10:00AM. I got up and took my meds. It’s amazing how just taking medication can cause someone to not feel well. My mouth was tasting of metal again, like it is right now.

I stopped to get some cash so I could stop and get some biscuits and gravy from Wendy’s so I could tell if the other day was just a fluke. Since I wasn’t feeling well, I decided to pass on consuming the B&G and they ended up in my fridge.

I had my port accessed, to keep it cleaned out, for my blood tests, told my tale of woe to the nurse, and waited for the doctor. He came in and I explained my problems to him as well. “It’s your stomach,” was about all he said.

My back pain is from the radiation treatment. My stomach is responding to even more mistreatment than the back received. Even my abdominal muscles are sore, I found out, and that is supposed to be from the stomach somehow as well.

Anyway, I will have a PET Scan done of Friday, March 21, 2008 with a follow-up lab tests and consult on Monday, March 24, 2008 to give me the results of the tests and to tell me what they want to do.

I stopped to get some groceries, some Tuna Helper and the like. It’s good that I didn’t remember the BLT and egg sandwich I lusted after on the movie Spanglish. I probably wouldn’t be able to eat it. I can’t tell you the amount of food that I’ve purchased only to throw away because I wasn’t able to stomach it. “Stomach it,” get it?

I got home wanting to get a bunch of stuff done only to be weakened by the morning’s efforts so I ended up taking a nap, which is again unusual for me at this point. I am amazed how my stomach can affect my brain. I get confused so easily when I have the stomach pain.

Now you’re probably wondering what the reference of pregnancy in the title has to do with anything. In my post Long, Long Ago… I mentioned that vomiting, or “blapping” as Sunni called it, is against my religion, which is why I never want to become pregnant.

As mentioned in that post, I twice had started looking for something to “blap” into, but never really got that far. Today, this morning after taking my meds, I got that far. There wasn’t anything in the stomach to “blap” except for the meds and the little bit of water I needed to take them. And my jaw muscles are pretty strong, all the talking I do, so nothing actually came up. But the stomach contracted and tried very hard to get rid of whatever triggered it. Had I had very much in my stomach at all, it could have come out very easily.

So, now I’m wondering if I’m going to experience “morning sickness” every morning or what. As I said before, I am extremely grateful that I haven’t had any, make that ANY, nausea or vomiting, until now. But it looks like that honeymoon is over.

So, I didn’t get anything that I wanted to get done today at all. I’m hoping tht tomorrow will be different. I’ll try to jolly my stomach along before taking my meds to see if I can offset the sensitivity of my stomach.

Kunolunkwa, y te quiero.

Nuremberg II

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that. Don't know of anything that's likely to help with the tummy heebie-jeebies, but if you can "stomach it" (I got it), one thing that always works for me (and will get you at least some sugar for energy) is a little soda—preferably Sprite, or 7Up, or if you like it, a good ginger ale. The ginger is supposed to be helpful for queasiness too.

I hope you're feeling better soon.

-HB said...

I do use A&W Root Beer for a variety of reasons, along with mint teas.

I can't use ginger because it augments the effects of the Warfarin and my INR is too high right now anyway!

But thanks for the suggestions. Sometimes I miss the obvious and need to be hit over the head, sometimes.

I did discuss this more in today's post, BTW.

While I was out today, I realized that it's been less than two weeks since I stopped radiation therapy. My last dose was two weeks ago tomorrow. So I guess this is just par for the course. But thanks for your well-wishes anyway! :-D They always seem to help!