Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Long, Long Ago…

…in a galaxy far, far away, back before I was married, I was dating a 'sweet young thing' who had a bad habit. She smoked.

Now, as an individual, you can do whatever it is that you want to do as long as you don’t hurt anyone else. Hurting yourself is just plain stupid. So, I don’t mind if you smoke. BTW, the World Health Organization's first report on second hand smoke indicated that there was no problem at all. It was later that they pulled that report and became politically correct about the issue of SHS.

In fact, one of the reasons I still carry a lighter is so that I can be a “gentleman” and light the cigarettes of women (and men) who don’t happen to have a light. I just don’t really care to kiss an ashtray, if you know what I mean.

Back to the sweet young thing, one day, she told me that she wanted to quit smoking. So, being a gentleman, I offered to help. I told her that I would hypnotize her so that she wouldn’t want to smoke. The fact that I had never hypnotized anyone else before didn’t stop me. How do I know if I can do it if I don’t try? Besides, I was practicing self-hypnosis at the time; how hard could it be to hypnotize someone else?

So, I hypnotized her and told her that she wouldn’t be bothered by the smell of a cigarette, but the taste of a cigarette would be the worst thing that she could possibly imagine. I also implanted a post-hypnotic suggestion so I could check to see if my attempt was successful.

I brought her out of the “trance” and we continued our day. We sat down to lunch at her place, I triggered the post-hypnotic suggestion, and she got the strangest look on her face. She got up from where she was sitting, went into her living room, and picked up the beaded necklace that she had hanging on a doorknob. She slipped the necklace over her head, and instantly remembered that she had been hypnotized, which had been my intention.

So, we talked about her experience with hypnosis, but we never discussed the reason for the hypnosis. I had implanted the suggestion that she forget that part.

We had lunch and left to go somewhere in my old VW. I loved that car! We got into the car and the first thing she did was shake a cigarette out of her pack. She lit up, got another strange look on her face, and stabbed the cigarette out in my ashtray. She shook another out of the pack, lit that one, and tried a drag on that one. (Do they still call it “taking a drag?”) She immediately stabbed that one out in my ashtray and crushed the rest of the pack in her hands muttering something about a “bad pack.”

Meanwhile, I’m trying to drive while observing her, and trying very hard not to laugh.

She stopped smoking from that day onward and stayed off the stuff for several years. She did eventually start back up again, but that was because I hadn’t anticipated everything that could tempt someone to start smoking again. :-)

But, several weeks afterwards, I asked her about her behavior that day and why she had quit. She said that the cigarettes had started tasting very bad for some reason. I asked her what they tasted like to her, and her one-word reply was “vomit!”

Now, multiply that by about a million times for me. As near as I can figure, the last time I had occasion to vomit was when I was a teen, a very young teen. Even when I started drinking, and not having had any training in drinking—drinking was supposed to be a sin for me at the time, and they don’t train you in sinning—even though I overdid the alcohol thing, I never vomited! There was one time I might have wanted to, I fell asleep sitting up with a waste can between my legs, but I didn’t. I like to say that it’s against my religion.

You can imagine my surprise when I almost “tossed” the first couple of bites of my Hardee’s Sausage, Egg, and Cheese Biscuit on Monday just before chemo. I thought that it was just the way I ate it too fast or something. Or maybe there was something wrong with the sandwich.

So I wasn’t prepared at all for this afternoon when I almost “tossed” one cracker dipped in some freshly made cheese dip.

I’ve always said that I’ve been extremely lucky that I haven’t had any nausea or vomiting at all. So far. Others aren’t quite as lucky.

But my problem lies right in the center of my being. If I ever had to shoot someone, my cancer, my tumor, lies right where I would put the first two rounds, my center of mass. Almost everything that happens within the body is centered on what lies just behind the sternum.

I’ve mentioned the hiccups and the spasms that my radiation treatment has caused. I think things are about to get worse. That area has started to get sore, and kinda tender. I’m thinking that the pain meds are going to start again soon.

But, I’m still maintaining my body weight, and I only have five days of radiation and probably one more round of chemo left. Then with any luck they’ll leave me alone for a couple of weeks and then do some imaging to see where we are.

I’ll let you know how it goes!

Kunolunkwa, y te quiero!

"As a juror, I will exercise my 1000-year-old duty to arrive at a verdict, not just on the basis of the facts of a particular case, or instructions I am given, but through my power to reason, my knowledge of the Bill of Rights, and my individual conscience. When needful, I will judge the law itself." -L. Neil Smith

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like we're peas in a pod ... "blapping", as my kids call it, is against my religion too—but I've not been as successful a practitioner as you.

Take good care!

-HB said...

You know, thinking about it, I may have made a mistatement. Or perhaps I just need to make a qualification.

When I work, I work twelve-hour shifts. Up at 4:00AM, at work by 5:30AM, punch out at 5:45PM, and home at 6:00PM. Back a few years ago, I would then eat supper after 6:00PM and usually try to be in bed by 8:00PM. I need my "beauty sleep" if I'm to drive 90,000 pounds of tractor, trailer, and load (I had an overweight permit) in traffic with people who refuse to pay attention to the other folks around them on the road. Not a long time to digest my evening meal.

Several nights I woke up choking because I had aspirated stomach contents. Not a pleasant way to wake up. Reminded me too much of Peter McWilliams!

So, I took more food to work and ate my "supper" by 4:00PM in the truck. That caused all sorts of problems with one account I worked for. I've mentioned them before. I called them The Sweatshop. Despite having 8 Core Values posted on the walls, two of them being Respect and Dignity, they didn't care if I got a chance to eat or not. Eating got in the way of my work, so they would rather I didn't eat.

Can you tell I haven't "let go?" I still have friends working there!

But I do enjoy your term for the act, "blapping." I get a kick out of your family's lexicon: snolfs, pood, etc. It's one of those little things that help to tie a family together.

And thanks, I do try to take care, as much as possible.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I can understand not "letting go" of that. Trying to sleep on a full stomach (not necessarily literally) has never worked well for me. And from the little I've read of your back story, it sounds like that may have contributed to your current situation ... am I right on that?

It's one of those little things that help to tie a family together.

You know, I never thought of our wordplay in that context, but I do believe you're absolutely correct. And speaking of words, now that I'm able to comment here again, what does "Kunolunkwa" mean?

-HB said...

Yes, ‘The Sweatshop’ has shown me a side of human nature that I absolutely deplore. I will never—nunca, nunca, nunca—get over working there. And I feel deeply for my friends still working there. As my Mal, Malcolm Reynolds, said, "Nothing worse than a monster who thinks he's right with God." And they think they are.

“…that may have contributed to your current situation ... am I right on that?”

Not according to my company and the Workmen’s Comp people. Even though several of my fellow drivers have GERD, or at least issues with “heartburn” the working schedule isn't the cause of my problem. You have to remember that I, and my fellow drivers, don’t usually fit the profile for Esophageal Cancer.

Even I have another culprit that I believe is more responsible. One of these days when I can focus long enough, I’m going to write that story down and post it.

I would have guessed, with your background and all, that you would have been aware of the effects of your “wordplay.” But I guess that’s how some of these things go.

With the kids and I it was more a case of places that we went to bind us together rather than our own special language. I will always remember sitting outside Aurelio’s Pizza in Bourbonnais, IL waiting for our pizza to be done in my Ford Bronco II. We would get that thing rocking from side to side, and then laugh at the people who walked by staring at us.

My son and I stopped at their old place on our last trip to Florida, only to find that they’d moved. So, we went to their new fancy place where we ordered our favorite pizza to go. I keep their take out menu on the refrigerator. Every time I look at it I remember the kids when they were younger and when we went there all the time.

Also, we would always go to Boot Lake campgrounds for our summer vacation. Every year! We loved that place. I’ve found that both kids have gone back there on their own after having moved out of the house. I even considered having myself cremated and having my ashes surreptitiously spread over the campgrounds so the kids would remember all the good times we had there when they came to “visit.”

Cherish the special attachment your “wordplay” gives you and your intimates. And thanks for letting us in on the “family secret;” it’s nice to be included. I got an email from BW Richardson the other day and he mentioned “Snolf the First.” I knew exactly whom he was talking about! Your kids are even inspiring to us old folks!

Speaking of language, I’ve always been a big fan of other languages. When I was taking Tae Kwon Do I learned some Korean. Even when I go to my Chinese food place, I try to use a few words of Chinese to say hello, please, and thank you. You should see the look of surprise in their eyes when one of the new employees is trying hard to make himself understood in English and you say ‘thank you’ in Chinese. Blows their mind!!! In a good way!

I tell my Hispanic friends, “Soy un Gringo, si, pero yo no soy un Gringo tipico!” I am a Gringo, but I’m not a typical Gringo. My friend, Teo, compliments me when he tells me that I’m not a Gringo, I just look like one.

So imagine what would happen for me when my “best friend and hunting buddy” is half Oneida Indian. He knew that I liked learning other languages, so he made sure to instruct me on some important words like beer, salt, pepper, onions, and the like. Personally, I think that he got most of them from his daughter, Deanna, who is the family’s resident expert on things Oneida.

Now, Deanna is having to instruct me without the benefit of her father as a go-between. She had used the word in several comments prior to Thanksgiving of last year and I didn’t know what it meant, so I had to ask. She responded in her November 26 comment, “Kunolunkwa is an expression we use to say, ‘Luv Ya!’”

And, ‘te quiero’ is just the same thing in Spanish.

Jeez, I get verbose! Gotta go to radiation therapy now! See ya!