Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Which Would You Choose?

I had to make an interesting choice today: morphine or Mobic, an NSAID. I went with the NSAID.

[sarcasm on]The left hip joint has been feeling just wonderful today. [sarcasm off] So I called the Clinic this morning to schedule an appointment to see the doctor. Luckily, they could get me in this afternoon.

So, if you called this afternoon and I didn’t answer, that’s probably where I was. And I am suffering some cancer drug hearing impairment, as it turns out. Several times when I should have heard the phone, I only noticed the vibrating feature.

Evidence so far would indicate that it isn’t the joint itself, but the tendons, that are causing the pain. They took an x-ray today to see what they can see. If that doesn’t work it sounds like MRI time. I can’t recall having one of those. So for now my choices were to live with stronger pain meds, or go with an anti-inflammatory that, combined with my Warfarin, can cause me to bleed internally.

Why isn’t it ever easy? Then again, for me, maybe it is. It could be a lot worse.

That’s one of the things that I discussed with Nurse Diane today. She’s the one who kept calling me “Sir” during several phone conversations that we’ve had and who is undergoing cancer treatment. She was encouraged to hear that I’ve had some of the same symptoms that she has been having. And we discussed how hard it is to get people to understand and believe us sometimes about what we are going through.

She called another nurse over, saying, “Come over here. Ben’s been having the same symptoms that I complain about. I’m NOT crazy!” So we three discussed symptoms for a while.

We also discussed the problems that the people in our lives have watching us in sickness and in pain and how they feel so helpless to do anything that can ease our suffering. I wanted her to know the situation from the other point of view, too. I can’t imagine being married and having to go through all the pain I would be causing my partner. It’s bad enough having to have my kids go through it. But then again, I am a pretty big softy!

~~~~~~~~~

I got to use my handicapped parking permit today!! When I stopped by Shopko, all the normal spots nearby were filled, so I broke down and used the permit. I didn’t at the Clinic; there were other spots near enough that I didn’t need to. But then again, they made me walk all over at the Clinic. Maybe I should have parked closer.

Walking exacerbates the problem, the pain. My attempts at exercise have probably contributed to the inflammation. So, I really should be limiting the amount of walking I do. Good Luck with that!

You know me; I’ll keep you updated! Speaking of updated, I kinda updated the Sticky Schedule recently if you hadn't noticed.

Kunolunkwa, y te quiero!

2 comments:

Çuzanne Larson Malliett Finnerup said...

I tried calling several times and hung up when the voice mail answered. I wanted to talk to you and wish you a Happy Birthday 'min søde stor bror'. I couldn't find an ecard I was happy with. I also thought of making a 'You Tube' video, but for it to be mark privet both parties need to join 'You Tube'. Since we couldn't get you on the phone we just sang Happy Birthday on your voice mail (Ronny played his mandolin). I hope it came through ok.
'Vi elsker dig'

-HB said...

I had been having quite a few Anonymous phone calls coming in and when I answered, they'd hang up. Now, about the time you were calling, I was visiting my doctor and didn't even hear some of the times the phone rang. And when I did check, it said "Anonymous." Being my birthday never crossed my mind, as you might be able to imagin now.

But I did listen to your song and knew that the mandolin was being played by Ronnie right off the bat.

I'm the same way, I like to talk to the person I'm calling and not to the machine, so for that I am expecially sorry.