Monday, February 18, 2008

Slower Traffic Keep Right

While heading to my 8:30 AM chemotherapy appointment this morning, I was struck by how many women were in the left lane of I-43, going 15 mph or more UNDER the posted speed limits. What is so hard to understand about the fact that if you are going slower than the guy behind you, you are required by law to move to the right and allow the faster vehicle to pass you? Even if you are going the speed limit, you still have a legal and moral obligation to move to the right!

From the Wisconsin DOT:


Slower traffic keep right: Drivers must allow faster traffic to pass in the left lane on divided highways

Life in the fast lane is not for everyone, and often it's better to let those moving more rapidly just pass you by. This is especially true while driving on Interstate highways and other multiple-lane roadways. If you're traveling slower than other vehicles, you can help traffic move more safely and efficiently by staying in the right lane as much as possible.

According to Wisconsin law, any vehicle traveling "at less than the normal speed of traffic" is required to be driven in the right lane (or as close as practicable) except when overtaking or passing another vehicle. A citation for violating this law costs $198.60 with four demerit points assessed on the driver's license.

"Even when you're driving at the posted speed limit, you should allow faster moving vehicles to pass. Trying to force other drivers to slow down by blocking the left lane does not make our highways safer. Instead, it leads to more tailgating, road rage and other problems," says State Patrol Superintendent David Collins. "We hope that drivers will leave enforcement of speed limits to our troopers and other law enforcement officers."

The State Patrol advises motorists to follow these guidelines to help maintain a safe flow of traffic on Interstates and other divided highways:

  • If you're not passing another vehicle, use the right lane as much as possible.

  • If you're in the right lane, allow other drivers to merge from the left lane into the right lane so that faster traffic can pass in the left lane. In addition, provide space for vehicles to merge into the right lane when they are entering a roadway from an on-ramp.

  • If you're in the left lane, don't tailgate or try to make a slower vehicle ahead of you move to the right lane. Be patient and courteous.

  • Superintendent Collins says, "When slower moving vehicles use the right lane, traffic flows more smoothly with less congestion and road rage, which certainly helps make our highways safer and more efficient."

    Road rage is right! I had to work my way around five women this morning, passing them on the RIGHT, just to exercise my right to drive the speed limit. And several of them honked at me! They’re breaking the law, and they honk at me! Why do I need to reduce myself to the level of the lowest common denominator?

    I need one of these. I’d like to get the GTFOOMW option printed on the back side, though. For when I need to express myself. I have thought of something else I can use, but I'll plead the Fifth!

    And it wasn't just women. Although they happened to be the lawbreakers I encountered, one of the nurses who lives in Crivitz said that men were involved as well.

    4 comments:

    Warren Bluhm said...

    The things I prefer about New Jersey vs. Wisconsin fit on the fingers of one hand with room to spare, but I do prefer the way the law is phrased in NJ: "Keep right except to pass." That way no one is tagged with being "slower." It may be a PC thing but for all the idiocy on NJ highways, slow drivers in the left lane are not a problem.

    -HB said...

    Having been an OTR trucker, and having been "out East," I have run into those situations. While it does seem to put most everyone in the right lane, it also means that the road can carry less traffic. It also makes for more uniform traffic speeds. At least, that was my impression at the time. And maybe that's part of the reason they do it like that.

    I'm old enough to remember flashing your headlights when wanting to pass on two lane roads. The slower car in front was to pull over to the right side of the lane to allow the faster car a better view and the ability to pass safely. I'm told they still do something like that on the Autobahn, which didn't use to have a speed limit at all. The faster car had right of way. But, although everyone talks about their rights, very few seem willing to allow the rights of other people. Especially on our highways. They certainly didn't Monday morning.

    "Faster?" "Slower?" They are statements of fact, but I can understand how people can react to being called what they really are.

    Regardng the pulling over to the right portion of your lane to allow the faster car easier access to the passing lane, I almost got in an accident when the guy behind me passed me ON THE RIGHT, in town, driving right down through the parking spaces that didn't have cars parked in them!!! I checked with the police only to find out that Wisconsin had passed a law allowing such stupid behavior. He was running out of room, there were parked cars ahead, so I slowed to allow him back into the lane. The highway was marked so that he could have passed legally on the left without a problem. Go figure.

    Çuzanne Larson Malliett Finnerup said...

    The bottom of the sign, should say 'It's the law'

    -HB said...

    "The bottom of the sign, should say 'It's the law'"

    You know, it's funny you should say that. I've been taking some heat from libertarian friends for advocating that the police enforce the laws on the highway after ripping them a new one for their abuses of people.

    When I feel up to it, I'll post a response to them in my blog.

    But you are right!!