Friday, February 29, 2008

Babies Faces 'Make Us Want To Care For Them'

At least it works that way for me. I ran across an article today that states:

Dr Kringelbach said: "We found a very specific, rapid signature of the activity in the medial orbitofrontal cortex in response to infant faces.

"This provides evidence in humans of a potential brain basis for the 'innate releasing mechanism' described by Lorenz for affection and nurturing of young infants.

"Although the degree to which these responses are innate rather than learnt is unknown, these specific responses to unfamiliar infant faces… occur so quickly that they are almost certainly quicker than anything under conscious control."

The medial orbitofrontal cortex is at the front of the brain, just above the eyeballs, and is known to be important in regulating emotions.

Mine must work in overtime as much as I like kids. So there is a valid reason for my response to children and babies. Now you know why I like seeing baby pictures.

~~~~~~~~~

I’m at a loss; I don’t know what to do. There should come a time when I need to get off my sick, or lazy, butt and DO SOMETHING. I just don’t know if I know when that is just yet. One the one hand, I need to husband my strength to heal my body. On the other hand, I will need to get up and exercise to develop my muscles to build my strength.

I don’t know if I know when that will be. Since I still have pain upon eating, I’m letting things slide for a while. But maybe I’ll start cleaning house this weekend.

~~~~~~~~~

BTW, that was my hand in the video yesterday. Did you see how white it was? I almost had to turn off the lights in the room it was so white. :-)

Kunolunkwa, y te quiero!

"As a juror, I will exercise my 1000-year-old duty to arrive at a verdict, not just on the basis of the facts of a particular case, or instructions I am given, but through my power to reason, my knowledge of the Bill of Rights, and my individual conscience. When needful, I will judge the law itself." -L. Neil Smith

No comments: