Thursday, January 3, 2008

My New Year

I just gave myself my first shot of Lovenox on my own. They had wanted me to come in to observe my technique, but I feel like crap. I wasn’t going to drive feeling the way I do. Do not mix cancer and colds; you won’t like the way you feel. Even Ben commented on my increased cough.

I explained to them that my daughter was a Type 1 diabetic so I had to give her just a few shots over the years. More so earlier than later; they started training her right away at the ripe old age of four to take care of her condition. Would that we could do that with all kids, teach them to take care of themselves. It would be a far, far, better world. I’m posting a picture of her being trained by a nurse to give a doll an injection that appeared in the local paper at the time.

Anyway, they let me stay at home and shoot up by myself.

If you read very many blogs you will notice that they sometimes post the music that they happen to be listening to as they put their words to electrons. I’m going to do that too.

I had to fire up the VCR—remember those—to watch a video about Lovenox and how to give myself a shot. I have very few tapes left; they’ve all been replaced by DVDs. But I had a copy of a television show, Austin City Limits, that I absolutely love. I’ve titled the tape My Girls. Egotistical of me, I know. It’s an Austin City Limits Songwriters Special, originally aired in 1986, over 20 years ago! It features Gail Davies, Roseanne Cash, Emmylou Harris, Lacy J. Dalton, in addition to Mary Anne Kennedy and Pam Rose. An awesome 60 minutes of female writers and vocalists. It’s brought tears to my eyes several times; Roseanne’s My Old Man, almost anything Gail Davies does, Emmylou…. Heck, they’re all good!

I ran out to PBS.org to see if I could find a DVD of the show. Apparently they don’t do that anymore. But I did find out that the two writers Mary Anne Kennedy and Pam Rose had formed a group called Kennedy Rose (not to be confused with Rose Kennedy) and put out a couple albums.

I did happen to find a video of Gail Davies doing her Grandma’s Song from the special while listening to her sing it on my tape! Wanna talk about coincidence? The story behind Gail’s song? Her grandmother, Francis Witten, taught her the song she starts out with, an old folk tune. She then segues into her tribute song about her grandmother. NEAT!

Gail Davies happens to be one of those Christians whose views are reflected in her music, like her song Never Cross That Line. Well worth listening to. Songs that teach values; interesting concept.

It’s time to take wash out of the drier, put more in the washer, and to fix supper. If I can get one shot, two meals, and three loads of wash done today, I’ll consider today a success. The dishes will have to wait.

And as always, remember that "As a juror, I will exercise my 1000-year-old duty to arrive at a verdict, not just on the basis of the facts of a particular case, or instructions I am given, but through my power to reason, my knowledge of the Bill of Rights, and my individual conscience. When needful, I will judge the law itself." -L. Neil Smith

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a picture that I remember well! I was sitting on a chair a few feet away from my beautiful little daughter, acting like this doll, "Sugar Babe", was just the greatest thing in the world.
The doll was, and is, a great invention, invented by the Young Pioneers of America, Chapter of Illinois, designed to help teach young diabetics the basics of diabetic care. It has skin that looks and feels just like human skin, and thus recieves a shot just as child would.
The problem was, the young diabetic in question was my beautiful baby girl! It was truly an act of will to stay positive at that time, for what I was, was grief-stricken, that my tiny, fun-loving daughter was to learn the rigors of juvenile diabetic care, and would follow the regime for a lifetime.
I still wrestle with grief and empathy for her, as well as a deep, abiding fury that it had to happen at all. Yet, all of this is tempered with admiration for her and her strength, as well as admiration and gratitude for the devotion that her brother has always shown her. Their strength has helped me keep going, just thinking about it, for how could I ever give up in the face of such courage?
By the way, that nurse helped Amy just that one time, for the photo. Amy learned to give shots by doing so to "Sugar Babe", oranges and my own arms.
I would beg sterile water from the hospital pharmacy and let her go. She was so brave and became so skilled so quickly, that she started giving herself shots in the abdomen and thighs at age six, just a year after she was diagnosed. At the time, the experts recommended not to push these kids to do so until at least age nine.
Hal, we are, and have been, truly blessed to have these wonderful creatures in our lives.
All mine,
"Mama"

-HB said...

"Hal, we are, and have been, truly blessed to have these wonderful creatures in our lives."

I've always thought so!