Thursday, November 1, 2007

Quick Update

Hi all,

Well, I got worried 'cause I didn't read any posts from Dad since Monday, and I texted him earlier today, with no response, so I called him. He answered, just fine. Well, he's not fine, but he answered. He was watching a movie and cuddling with Ben's cat. Well, cuddling alternating with defending his ice cream from the cat.

He's feeling pretty crappy. As he put it, he's "doing as well as can be expected," for a 3rd round of chemo. He's feeling very tired, run-down, and kinda bummed out, so I said I'd post on the blog today, in case anyone else was getting worried. I tried to remind him that NO ONE ever has an easy time with chemo, the point of chemo is to KILL fast-growing cells, so of course he's feeling miserable. But, as many of us know, he's kinda stubborn ;-), and he's kinda mad at his body for not having an easier time of it this go-round. He was hoping that, since the 2nd round wasn't as bad as the first, that this round would be even easier. Alas, that is not the case, and he is understandably disappointed.

So, he's just feeling pretty crappy, all around, and hasn't felt up to posting. But, knowing him, I'm sure he's still sneaking peeks to see who's commenting and whether or not I'm posting (ha, I am ;-)!), so please do continue to send your well-wishes and positive thoughts his way...

More soon,

Amy

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update, Amy. I was starting to get worried. I'm sorry he's having such a rough time this go around. Hopefully it'll get better soon.

Anonymous said...

Cheerleader from Centerville, UT reporting in - geez, if I knew any cheers, I'd be shouting them out......

Since I was in the band, I will "march to the beat"........cheering for you each step of the way.

Amy, thank you for the post.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, darling girl!
Hang in there, Hal. We had a very learned expression on the Oncology Unit....Chemo sucks.
You are in my thoughts and prayers.
All mine,
KMMK

Anonymous said...

Me again...Hal,
The CyberKnife is a focused high beam radiation laser that can be used in a very precise manner. It is used involving no incisions.
I found a bit on it on the Aurora St. Lukes' Cancer Center. There is a link to the second opinion program at the site, and the number for the second opinion program is 1-888-649-6892. I know that it is being used on the brain, spine, and pancreas, and most likely more areas by now. Would you like me to call the number, or do you feel well enough?It is worth a shot.
All mine, and all the best,
KMMK

Anonymous said...

In response to one of your earlier comments, Hal, I must say that I am very proud of our kids as well. You mention that Ben puts up with a lot from you. Ben is the kindest, calmest man I've known and remains my own hero.
KMMK

-HB said...

I'm sorry to have left everyone hanging, but it takes a bit of effort to try and put together a coherent reply, right now. (It took me all of this comment to remember the word "coherent;" that's how bad my memory is.)

Thanks for the concern. As Amy said, I'm doing as well as can be expected considering the course of chemotherapy. And I'm finding that I hate complaining too much. Even I get tired of it.

Yes, "Chemo Sucks." Big Time!

Based on your latest info, Kris, I did find the Gamma Knife used for neurological applications at St Lukes. However, St Lukes and Aurora Bay Care Medical Center are part of the same group. So a second opinion from them might not be exactly what I'm looking for.

I was sitting at the computer this morning about 7:00 and heard Ben cough. I thought to myself, "I'll have to get him some medicine when he wakes up." Then I realized that was the father from years ago talking. Ben's now capable of taking care of himself. But I guess the instincts never go away. But I did offer some suggestions. :-)

I tried not to sleep too much today so I could sleep tonight. I'm off to take a long hot bath in preparation for bed. We'll see if that helps at all.

Where did summer go? It seems like I've been sick all year.

BTW, Robin, now you have me curious. Since my memory is going I don't remember if you ever told me what instrument you played in band. Refresh my memory....

Anonymous said...

I don't think I ever mentioned 'band' either - but I was in percussion (glockenspiel)......pretty stylin' eh?

Well perhaps not, but since you can't easily roll a piano down a parade route, or on a football field, bells had to do!

-HB said...

Thank Goodness! I thought my memory was going.... I would have remembered a glockenspiel.

BTW, I actually had to look it up to see what it was. LOL