Sunday, November 18, 2007

Deer Hunting Stories?

I thought that I’d add a couple of pictures to the blog.

I had mentioned earlier that Himmy had finally made it on to the window shelf and that I had caught it on, on, on…. I guess we don’t capture pictures on film much anymore, do we? And I guess we don’t say we captured them on a digital card. At least I’ve never heard of it being put that way. See what I mean about language following along behind reality?

Anyway, here’s a photo of Himmy on the shelf. If you don’t know about Himmy, you’re probably wondering what the white thing is that looks like a diaper. It is! A diaper, I mean. Because Himmy is diabetic, he has a problem with continence. My son not only gives Himmy two insulin shots a day that I know of, he also takes regular baby diapers, modifies them to fit his cat, and changes Himmy’s diapers several time a day.

See why my kids amaze me? Rescues, surgeries, insulin intervention, and even diapers!

~~~~~~~~~

Next is a picture of my front yard under my tree. I don’t even know what kind of tree it is; I’m not familiar with the type. Notice the coverage of leaves on the ground. That happened one night. It got cold and they all dropped off the tree. Unfortunately, they didn’t all drop on the ground. If you look at my roof, you will notice the leaves there as well.

The roof looked like the ground did, all evenly covered. We did get a bit of wind that moved some of the leaves around. If you look real close you will notice that the gutters are clear though. I did have leaves hanging over the edges of the gutters.

My extension for my leaf blower worked pretty well, so I have glued more of the parts together. Unfortunately, you see the leaves still on the roof? Since I wasn’t on the roof to blow them off, I’ll have to clean them out of the gutter again as soon as the wind moves them around. But it does mean that I won’t have to climb up on the roof.

~~~~~~~~~

This year has been relatively strange for me, what with the illness and all. For whatever reason, I have paid more attention to the coming of deer hunting this year than most. Nine years ago, I would have been up in the woods this past weekend and all this coming week, for that matter. I have been watching the cars come back to the city with their burden of trophies on top and wishing I had been in the woods myself.

That’s probably why I felt the urge to cook a pot of chili. I used to make the chili in deer camp over an open fire. Unfortunately, I made chili out of a mix today. It wasn’t too bad; it was made with buffalo meat. But like my son said, it was a bit “busy,” lot’s of strange flavors. Next weekend I think I’ll make some . Carroll Shelby’s Texas chili. Yes, it’s out of a brown paper bag, but it does taste pretty good. At least it used to.

Interesting Note on the link to Amazon.com; curretnly on the page is a note that people who have purchased CS's Texas Chili also purchased Shrek the Third. How funny is that?

Back to deer, I was wondering if anyone has any deer stories they want to tell. Or at least update me/us on how your hunting folks did in the woods this year. Any takers?

7 comments:

Ronny Finnerup said...

ill take a crack at that, hunting seasons follow pritty close here to what they are in the us, and i have a few hunters on my route that i talk to alot about it since i would like to take up hunting, mainly for the nature part of it not as much the killing part even if something is killed i will gladly eat it, seems here that the deers that have been brought down have been huge this season not many of the smaller deers have been around so im guessing this is a season where the big ones did better during the strange summer and spring, also ducks and phessans and quails and other game birds have been bountyfull, seems a normal day of hunting will bring atleast 4 or 5 game birds even on a deer hunt, the Fantail Snipe seems to be the one that is shot the most next after ducks in this area where we live, the phessans i meet generaly just go "KASQUISH" when they try and out run my truck not funny when it happens 5 to 6 times during a day and all hit the windshield in the drivers side, almost had to change my pants, back to the deer, one of the guys showed me a picture he took of one he brought down, is the biggest we have here a red deer, he hed shot it on his own little plot of pland where he grows christmas trees and to be able to get it to the house he had to use a little tractor that he use to dig and clear tumps in the field of trees, was a massive deer, dont remember if he said it was a 14 or 15 point guess ill need to take a look at the picture again next time i go there, guess that is a good aount of babbleing,

TTFN

Anonymous said...

14 or 15 point??? Wow! The hunters around here WOULD need to change their pants! The biggest they've seen was an 8 point and it was too far away to get a shot. (No rifle hunting allowed this far south in Michigan) So far all they've taken off our land this year is one doe.

-HB said...

Ronny, I only hunted because I liked to be out in the woods, out in Nature. I didn't NEED to shoot anything. I did shoot game because I liked to eat 'em. For me, PETA means "People Eating Tasty Animals."

And I didn't use a shotgun for hunting deer or squirrels. I used a shotgun for birds only rarely, I couldn't see throwing that much lead around. When I needed to, a .22 worked just fine.

It sounds like you have an abundance of game birds We might have that much but they are widely seperated. You have to drive quite a ways to see all that diversity.

And I can believe the size of the deer! Nettie, run out to this video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3F8ERrVOgk, and watch the Red Deer from Denmark this year. At first I thought it was an Elk!

Without seeing anything for reference sizewise I'd have to guess that the male Red Deer is about the size of our Mule Deer, only with more antlers. Maybe I'll do more research, later.

Thanks for bringing some memories back to mind.

Ronny Finnerup said...

the airport in aalborg is a protected area so your not allowed to hunt there and they have a huge amount of ducks and even some massive deer roaming the area and you have to apply to be allowed to have the hunt there and only allowed once then everyone else have a turn before you can again, the red deer in that area are really big since they never get hunted mainly just hunt birds, that red deer in the video is a big one but not uncommon here

Anonymous said...

Oh my! Look at the size of that rack!

-HB said...

Nettie, that's MY line!! But thanks for that much needed chuckle!

Ronny you have to understand that around here, the size of that rack would make hunters, let's just say, SOIL their underwear! And then miss the shot! Really!

Anonymous said...

*snicker*

I knew you'd appreciate that!