Monday, October 1, 2007

Bait and Switch

OK, I'm adding this to this post, so I don't forget tomorrow, but the EGD procedure next week has been cancelled until further notice. If I remember, I'll add it tomomorrow as well. To repeat, no more EGDs scheduled!

~~~~~~~~~

In addition to mowing the lawn, I finally took matters in hand and, for the first time in two – three years, washed the outside windows yesterday. So guess what happened last night and today. If you guessed rain, you’d be right. Maybe this should have gone in the “Some Days You’re the Bug” post.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

I stopped by the pharmacy over the weekend to get my next fix of PC. While there, the pharmacist, in addition to asking if I had any questions about my PC asked a bunch of unobtrusive questions about my “condition.” Since I had nothing to hide, and since I have a tendency to trust people with “expertise” (unless I know better), I told him what was going on with me.

But the questions he asked, and the comments he made, started me to wonder what his concerns were. So I did some checking. I found something interesting when I started to read my PC medicine labels.

The liquid form of my medication, the elixir, contained 7.5 mg. Hydrocodone / 500 mg acetaminophen per 15 mls. Label directions for usage were 15 mls every 6 hours as needed, for a maximum usage of 30 mg. Hydrocodone / 2000 mg acetaminophen every day.

Oral directions from my doctor increased the dose to 15 – 30 mls every 4 hours increasing my daily consumption to 45 - 90 mg Hydrocodone / 3000 – 6000 mg acetaminophen.

Now, the FDA has a 24-hour maximum limit for acetaminophen set at 4000 mg. So, the doctor’s orders for the liquid medicine puts me near or over the FDA’s maximum, putting me at risk for hepatotoxicity; severe liver damage!

When I could no longer tolerate the liquid form, I was switched to pill form of the drug. However, while my dosage schedule was increased—I am directed by the label to take 1 – 2 tablets every 3 – 4 hours as needed for pain—the Hydrocodone level was actually reduced to two thirds of the previous level! . Each dose, each tablet, now contains 5 mg Hydrocodone while still containing 500 mg acetaminophen.

That means on this new dosing schedule, my Hydrocodone consumption is reduced to 30 – 80 mg each day while my acetaminophen consumption is increased to 3000 – 8000 mg per day!!!!!! Twice the FDA’s maximum.

Sure, “the doctors are watching my consumption.” Yeah, right!

The Wikipedia article states, “Daily consumption of hydrocodone should not exceed 40 milligrams in patients not tolerant to opiates.” But they also point out that the PDR (Physician’s Desk Reference) makes allowances for higher dosages as long as the side effects do not manifest themselves.

Now, as a pain reliever, acetaminophen doesn’t work well for me at all. Over the years I have had opportunity to obtain prescriptions to Tylenol #3 with codeine. Until recently, I had two prescriptions for the stuff sitting in my dresser drawer; one prescription from 1985. I don’t know what the fuss was all about; it never did that much for me.

Current consumption of my PC puts me right at 35 mg / 3500 mg. One more tablet a day will max me out. Care to guess what one of my questions to my doctor on Wednesday will be?

Edit: Added schedule change!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My heart and prayers will be with you tomorrow, my friend. We'll be seeing you in a few days.. we finally got tires replaced on the front of the van, and thanks to Ben and yourself, the rest of it is still running. Thank Ben for me.
I got my little bobcat in with the help of a plate of food and some sweet talk.
I am glad that Himmee and Jasper are safe and sound! What great cat names!
BTW, Hal, I took no offense at your mention of the "Fritz" mmovie. It is not that I am a prude about that sort of thing, it is just that Fritz was truly like my baby, and I like to keep those memories like they are.
About your pain med woes and other concerns.
First of all, I have to say that anymore in this country, anywhere I would imagine, one has to be ones' own medical advocate with any condition, procedure or surgery. If one cannot do this for him/herself, it must be done for the patient.
Please remember that this is your body Hal, your pain, and your pain control.
If you are not happy with this pain med, ask for another of the same level. There is a chart that your doc should have that reads across with the names of pain meds that are equal in strength and effectiveness. What works for one may not work for another, however.
Are the docs doing chem panels that include liver analysis? They most likely are. They should be, if they are not. Ask them that, when you voice your concern/dissatisfaction with your meds on Wednesday.
I think that I told you that I have never been happy with the use of your med for cancer pain. Remember, I used to work the Oncology/Skilled Care Units at a hospital. Your pain med is good for breakthrough pain, not as a base relief. There are others that work much more effectively and with fewer side effects. The doc may argue that the substances in patches might cause nausea, and it is true, but most certainly not as much as your med. What is a good reason for asking for a different pain med? Just because You want something different, for starters.
Concern, desire for something more effective, easier on the stomach, easier delivery of substance are all good ones. Think of any others?
Just make sure that you do not mention that a former nurse said any of this, for docs get very sensitive about that. I cannot tell you how many times I heard doctors say to me and many, many others, "Where did you go to med school?" in response to suggestions made out of concern for the Patient!! Enough of that subject. I do not want to make you more angry with doctors, for, we must face it, they are all we have in situations like this. I have begged, cajoled, explained, pretended that I did not know what was appropriate, etc., etc., to get what Patients needed. I was shameless when it came to that, even changing the way my voice sounded to, yes I admit it, even to flirt with them to get what we needed. Whatever it takes,( within the law) for you, Hal,in order to get better.
Edema of the lower extremities is common in these situations. When I see you this week I will check your legs for pitting edema. Better yet, ask them to do it on Wednesday, and I will again later in week. Send me a list of all of your meds and I will see if I know if they cause edema or not.
I do wish that we could all shoulder some of your symptoms to make things easier on you. Kudos to Ben for taking good care of his Dad!
All mine,
Kris

Anonymous said...

Howdy,

When ever I surf on web I never forget to visit this website[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url]hbensblog.blogspot.com really contains lot of useful information. Do you pay attention towards your health?. In plain english I must warn you that, you are not serious about your health. Research points that closely 80% of all United States grownups are either obese or weighty[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url] Therefore if you're one of these individuals, you're not alone. Infact many among us need to lose 10 to 20 lbs once in a while to get sexy and perfect six pack abs. Now next question is how you can achive quick weight loss? [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss[/url] is really not as tough as you think. If you improve some of your daily diet habbits then, its like piece of cake to quickly lose weight.

About me: I am webmaster of [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss tips[/url]. I am also health expert who can help you lose weight quickly. If you do not want to go under painful training program than you may also try [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/acai-berry-for-quick-weight-loss]Acai Berry[/url] or [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/colon-cleanse-for-weight-loss]Colon Cleansing[/url] for fast weight loss.