Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Bait and Switch Revisited

Just in case you only read the new posts, I’d like to say that late breaking news from yesterday (OK it was early afternoon) was that my October 10 EGD was cancelled. As procedures go, it’s relatively harmless. But it’s the thought that they’re sticking a tube and camera down my throat that bugs me.

AND, I started the use of color in the “’Sticky’ Schedule” to highlight certain dates.

~~~~~~~~~~

My "horrorscope" today made the comment, “Perfection isn't the goal -- happiness is.” I seem to recall someone saying something like this about housework…. :-D

~~~~~~~~~~

Mousebane is loving it here. When the cats first came with Ben to live here, the only time I got to see them was when Ben got up to get ready for work and about 9:30 – 10:00 PM when Ben was expected home. Then they came up and were fairly vocal; it was feeding time, don’tcha know?

Now, Mousebane is waiting for me in the kitchen when I get up. He gets some loving and a good brushing, just a purrin' all the while. I’m using one of my old hairbrushes since I’m not using them!

But he does enjoy it.

~~~~~~~~~~

I had an opportunity to talk to Robin last night, so I seized it. It was nice to talk to her again. I’m sorry to say I can’t remember the last time I did talk to her. That memory is sitting just outside of my grasp right now; I may remember later.

I’ve always enjoyed her “accent” for want of a better term; an Ohio girl living in Utah via California. They say that music hath charms to soothe the savage breast. Well her voice has the same effect for me.

I was able to offer some hopefully helpful advice; only time will tell. But the situation did bring home to me the need I have to explain to all of you what has gone on with me that might help explain me to you. Maybe when you understand what I have to say, a lot of questions you have about me will be answered.

~~~~~~~~~~

Acetaminophen, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetaminophen, has very little anti-inflammatory effects, which is probably why it doesn’t usually work well for me at all. I usually have inflammation associated with pain. As a matter of fact, since I started eating again, my joint pain has flared up and either my PC won’t touch it, or the pain is so great that I’d hate to be without my PC right now. I’m betting that the PC just doesn’t touch this type of pain.

Getting back to acetaminophen, in the UK sales are limited to 32 and 16 tablets in pharmacies and non-pharmacy locations respectively because of the chance of liver toxicity. In Ireland it is limited to 24 and 12 tablets respectively.

So, let’s talk toxic doses. “The toxic dose of paracetamol [acetaminophen –HB] is highly variable. In adults, single doses above 10 grams [10000 mg –HB] or 150 mg/kg have a reasonable likelihood of causing toxicity. Toxicity can also occur when multiple smaller doses within 24 hours exceeds these levels, or even with chronic ingestion of doses as low as 4 g [4000 mg –HB]/day, and death with as little as 6 g [6000 mg –HB]/day.”

My current prescription allows me to consume 3 – 8 grams (3000 – 8000 mg) of acetaminophen per day. I am currently taking 3.5 g (3500 mg) per day. That means I experience "chronic ingestion" of 500 mg less than the 4000 mg they mention above.

Diagnosis? “Evidence of liver toxicity may develop in one to four days, although in severe cases it may be evident in 12 hours. Right upper quadrant tenderness may be present.” I may not have right upper quadrant tenderness but I do have right upper quadrant pain. Prior to this I thought it was just the tumor; normal pain for my condition has usually been on the left side and just below the rib cage. Now I’m not so sure.

And, oh yeah, something I didn't know, acetaminophen/ paracetamol is addictive!!!!! “Surprisingly, paracetamol can be physically addictive: the needed dose increases with each administration, and there is a distinct withdrawal syndrome, which resembles the headache for which the drug was first taken, but not exactly.”

So, based on this one article, not only will I need more and more acetaminophen to maintain my "buzz," but I’ll be in pain when I try to quit.

Or am I wrong to be concerned with the doctors prescribing meds that keep me so close to a toxic dose? That I’m dependent on their being alert for any changes in my condition just to keep me alive and well, when the only contact I have with them is that which I initiate. You’ve seen my schedule; doctor appointments are several weeks apart, while liver toxicity can develop in 1 – 4 days! When I can get pain from eating at the wrong time—last night I started to eat ½ hour before taking my pain meds instead of 1 hour after taking my pain meds and it caused me some pain—or because the food was a little too spicy, I’m more likely to ignore it because I think I know, correctly or incorrectly, what the reason for the pain is.

This is why I dislike doctors. Just because they prescribe toxic drugs in the hopes that the chemotherapy kills the cancer before it kills me doesn’t mean that they should do the same with my pain meds.

Or am I out of line on this?

No comments: