Sunday, October 14, 2007

Another Sleepless Night….

…so I decided that, rather than laying in bed trying to sleep, that I’d get up run across the street for a hot chocolate and a couple of donuts (a cream-filled Long John and a triple chocolate Bismarck), and talk to you guys.

“How do they taste?” you ask? Reminds me of a joke about the guy who went into this French whorehouse and asked for the worst….. Well, maybe not. But I am “homesick” for taste.

And sleep, good sleep.

Night before last night, I went to bed at 7:00PM and slept until my medication alarm woke me at midnight. Took my meds and went back to sleep right away and slept until 4:00AM. Tried to sleep until six but it didn’t work. So, I got up at 5:00, felt pretty good, and decided to make French Toast. Went next door for some milk. Did I mention that I can’t taste things very well? If the half-empty carton of milk in the fridge had gone bad, there would be no way for me to tell until I got sick!

So, I dug out my recipe book, looked up French Toast, and fried up four slices. Butter and syrup. I got almost half of it down.

All done by 7:00AM.

Sat down to read in the recliner, fell asleep, and slept until Noon. So today, I was up until 9:00PM when I went to bed. And here I am.

Just talked to Ben; he’s heading off to bed. He reminded me that the doctor said of this time period, “No pain, no gain.” And it’s not as if I have to get up and go to work or anything. So maybe I should just relax, pretend I’m a cat, and sleep when I can. But I’m such a creature of habit.

Maybe it’s time to catch up on a few things. Since I didn’t have the time to address them when they happened, I’ll be a little slow getting them down on electrons. Or phosphors. Or however we characterize computerized media versus paper media. (Notice how language always follows behind changing reality?)

Julie, we had your spaghetti dish when Kris and Ken were up last Sunday. From what I was told, it was good; you can’t trust my judgment right now. My current favorite dish is what I call Cream of Chicken Ramen Noodles/ Egg Drop Soup. I fix chicken-flavored Ramen Noodles, break an egg into the soup, and then add a slice of Velveeta cheese. Actually, it’s pretty good to my taste buds; YMMV (your mileage may vary). Later this morning, I’m going to try it with chunky chicken in it as well.

And I guess that’s the best I can ask for right now, that the food doesn’t suck. Like these donuts. Like the French Toast.

Back to the spaghetti dish, the only thing that was offered was that it was a little dry, but we had purchased some sauce just in case, so it went very well. Recipes did go home with Kris and Amy.

There was some speculation about the physical presentation of the dish. It was suggested that it would make a great dish for Halloween if the spaghetti was dyed red so that it looked like veins. With the red sauce, it would look ghoulishly delicious. I don’t know; I was out of it most of the weekend. But you can ask questions if you want. The folks who came up with that suggestion do read this blog, I’m told.

I had Ben take a couple of photos today, at Amy’s suggestion, and put one in the “Current picture” slot on the left. Don’t know if you noticed, but that’s what Amy had to put up with when she was here.

Also, I changed the Sticky Schedule around a bit. And I added my meds, at least the ones I know about. I do get a couple more drugs that I don’t have info on at present. I’ll add them if I ever figure it out. Pain meds aren’t going to be posted anymore although I may discuss results. If you would like to know, you can contact me and ask.

Himmy and I both have been limping around today (yesterday). Started me wondering if it has to do with the barometric pressure. Maybe I can tell weather.

And I finally figured out what’s been bothering me about all the mistakes and “issues” going on with my association with Aurora Bay Care. I’ll write it up sometime.

But, it’s almost 4:00, I’m starting to feel tired, and I’d like to get a couple of hours of sleep before I have to get up to take my meds.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Because I'm no expert in this area, it's merely a question/thought. If you can't sleep at night but are napping during the day, would it help if you went for brief walk(s) throughout the day so you'd be tired at night and perhaps sleep more? Just take little 'power naps'instead?

I was awake a good part of the night as well - I should have signed on the computer, we could have chatted - until one of us fell asleep.

Amy, thank you for the update from your visit.

-HB said...

I know, I know; I've tried. But does the phrase "too pooped to pop" ring a bell? Yesterday, I was up for a total of maybe ten hours. The day before, I didn't have the energy to cross the street, so I only went as far as the mailbox.

Today, I might actually go out to pick up some new meds, a magnesium supplement, by myself.

I went back to bed at 4 this AM but couldn't fall asleep. So it took awhile before I did.

Did you know that one can dream while one is aware of what is going on in the room? It's been happening more and more for me, latey. Weird!

But thanks for the suggestions. I can always keep them in mind for later if I can't use them right now.