Monday, October 15, 2007

And This Is Me PISSED OFF!

These doctors are starting to PISS ME OFF!!!!! At a time when money is starting to get tight, I just spent $17 for something I already have in my cupboard!! Because it's an OTC product, my insurance won't pay for it.

Granted, it’s not the same brand name they prescribed, but magnesium oxide is magnesium oxide. And if they’d have checked the list of supplements that I gave them, they’d have known that I did have it. And, if they hadn’t told me to discontinue everything that I was taking, I’d probably STILL BE TAKING IT!!! (And yes, Lois; I AM shouting!!!)

But I suppose that checking their notes is too hard to do, considering we had to rely on my notes for my last doctor’s visit, because the doctor’s notes from my previous visit, nine days earlier, hadn’t been typed up and entered into my file yet! It was how I was able to get off the diuretic, Lasix. The doctor didn’t even know that he had prescribed it and the “horse pill” supplement to counteract the effects of the diuretic until I brought it up.

Now, the magnesium deficiency is a result of the cisplatin and—surprise, surprise—can cause FATIGUE! So that would explain the lassitude, lately.

And, the directions they gave me are different than the label directions, again.

But let’s look on the bright side; I did spend pre-tax dollars to support their favorite corporation supplying magnesium instead of post-tax dollars.

Had they supplied me with a copy of the lab results, I could have picked up on the deficiency and started supplementation myself. Which reminds me, I’m not getting any records from them. I’ll take care of that tomorrow, or they won’t have a patient!

Based solely on following THEIR regimen, I have a one in four chance of surviving the next five years. I’d like to increase those odds, but I can’t do it following their regimen. Things are going to have to change.

3 comments:

Amy said...

Sssooooo.... when do you want to set up an appointment for H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa to get a second opinion? I know a place nearby where you could stay for fee ;-)!

-HB said...

"Stay for fee?" I can do that almost anywhere until my card maxes out.

Oh, you meant "Free." Sorry. :-D

I'm hurtin'. The new meds don't do quite as well as I'd hoped, 'cause I still get the joint pain. So, I try to ignore it, thinking that I just have to get used to the new meds. Only thing is, I find out that I've ignored my 6:00PM meds trying to ignore the joint pain. NO WONDER I'm hurtin'!!

I was just thinkin' about doing something different. Let me talk to a lawyer tomorrow.

Çuzanne Larson Malliett Finnerup said...

2 cents:
I think you should talk to the H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center for a second opinion too.