Sunday, September 2, 2007

Work Day

Today will be my first day back since Tuesday. I'm interested to find out how the drugs will help me feel at work. They don't help as much as I would have liked for food.

I did stop at McDonald's yesterday for a Breakfast Burrito Meal. And I got an extra burrito in case my sister showed up. I took a photo of it that I may get a chance to post later.


It took some time for me to eat the two burritos that came with my meal. I never finished the orange juice, although I dearly wanted to. But I did find that I can drink ice cold liquids again on the meds.

Later in the day, I spent three hours at the Fiesta. I really enjoyed myself. I got to meet some friends that I hadn't seen for awhile. I got to see their wives and meet their kids. (These are Latinos, you know.) I held a five-week-old beautiful little girl named Bianca for a while. I never got her to smile, but she didn't have to. Like Robert Heinlein once said, "Little girls and butterflies need no excuse."

I got a lot of "delgado" comments, skinny or slim. But then, when most of them last saw me I was 50 pounds heavier. My photo on the blog was from back then. I should take another like it to show the difference.

And the food, although very good, was actually Guatemalan. Not that I would know the difference, but the tamales were wrapped in banana leaves. I did bring the rest of my plate home for (hopefully) consumption at a later date.

Getting back to the drugs, I really don't know how I'm going to keep to a dosing schedule. The one, Carafate, can only be done on an empty stomach four times a day. I have to take it one hour before a meal or two hours after. The Vicodin should be taken on a full stomach to avoid any possible stomach irritations every six hours. That and schedule meals, such as they are, and work. Confusing.

And I'm finding that I may have to take a dose of the Vicodin during the night as well. I've gotten use to minimal pain too quickly, I'm afraid. After taking my dose last night at 7:00PM, I was starting to hurt by 3:00AM. So, right now, I'm hurting pretty good. Not what I want before going to work.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I received some inspirational word and videos (I'll check them out tonight when I get home) via email from friends in Illinois. It's nice to know that friends that I get to see once a year are checking the blog and thinking about me. Thanks guys!

Until tonight!

Edited: Added photo!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope your first day back with the meds goes smoother.
~~~~~~~~~
As for the dosing schedule. I'm not familiar with the Carafate and can't offer any insight on that one. However, I've taken Vicodin for a couple of years now and I take it on both an empty and full stomach without any noticable irritation. As with any pain medication it's always better to stay ahead of the pain rather than try to catch up with it. Set your alarm to take that middle of the night vicodin. Silly as it sounds post yourself a big ol' medicine schedule on the refrigerator door including what time you need to stop or start eating.

Even that spongelike brain of yours is going to get overloaded with all that's going to be thrown at you in the coming days. Why not make it easier where you can?
~~~~~~~~~
Always thinking of you.

Çuzanne Larson Malliett Finnerup said...

Sorry I missed you at McDs, you can freeze that breakfast burito and I'll have it at Christmas.

-HB said...

Things went well today; see the update! And thanks for the suggestion and the support, Nettie! I think you are right about being overloaded!

BTW, I take the liquid version of both meds. Something about big pills squeezing through a tumor partially blocking the opening to my stomach comes to mind. I'm glad those medical folks were thinking! :-D

~~~~~~~~~~

And Cuz, I put the burrito in the freezer. It'll be here when you get here.

And thanks for the call today from you and Ronny. It really does help.

Anonymous said...

*slaps forehead*

Silly me! Of course they have you on liquid meds and that would probably run a higher risk of irritation to your stomach.

I guess that means back to the chart making for you. *smile*