Friday, August 31, 2007

Today's the Day!

It seems I couldn't sleep much longer, knowing that today is the day I find out; 1) whether or not my cancer is spreading, and 2) what game plan the doctors have decided on to try to keep me alive. So, I'm up.

Due to the surgery requirements, I suspect that part of the issue will come down to a fight between doctors and insurance company.

And I see that I have totally neglected using the topic delimiters that I just wrote about. Old habits die hard.

I was all the way up to 178 pounds this AM. Waking up, I feel pretty good. But, boy, yesterday! I used to be able to mow the lawn without stopping. Over the course of the summer, I noticed that I'd have to stop, usually once, during the course of mowing to rest. OK, so I'm getting older. Grr-r-r-r-r. But yesterday, I had to stop quite frequently.

I've mentioned the back pain, just to the right of the spine, that I get, apparently, from this tumor. Well, did it bother me yesterday!

Like everyone, I've gotten back pain in the past. Usually all I had to do was stretch, pop the vertebrae back into proper alignment and I was good to go. It doesn't work that way with this. No matter which way I twist and stretch, it doesn't go away. I can lie on my back on the floor and the pain will diminish, but that's about it.

Mowing requires me to use my back quite a bit. Driving truck shouldn't bother it that much. Cranking the landing gear on the trailers might bother a little, but thankfully, I shouldn't have to do that too often. I'm hoping that with chemotherapy shrinking the tumor, the pain will lessen.

Mom called yesterday. It was good to hear that she has come to terms with what is going on with me; we both got through our conversation without tears. She is going through her own physical trials, so we traded "war stories" for a while.

Well, I guess I'll have to post later today once Ben and I get back from the doctors office....

Only a half hour since I posted this and I'm already updating it!

I just wanted to say that I received a wedding invitation in the mail yesterday. Most of you should remember my best friend and hunting buddy, Rawley, who died February 28, 1999. (I still miss you, Rawley! I could use some of your infectious love of life, right now.) Anyway, his son, Tim, is getting married this October. Rawley and Nancy's youngest is getting married. I still remember watching him play high school football. Where does the time go?

I'm worried about the time frame, however. The wedding occurs near the end of October which should be just before my surgery. I guess I'll find out today.

And, Tim, remind me, I still have a staple hammer that belonged to your dad. I'll look for it while I'm cleaning the basement.

Edited 8/31 06:50AM

1 comment:

Çuzanne Larson Malliett Finnerup said...

Yeah weight gain! Hey I never thought I would be saying that. ;)