Friday, August 31, 2007

Oncology Report

OK, are you ready for this?

Radiation treatment is OFF the table; the cancer has metastasized. It’s spread to at least three other lymph nodes; two under my left clavicle (collarbone), and one lower in the abdomen.

I go in Tuesday, September 4, to get an implantable vein access port placed somewhere near (not really sure here) my left collarbone. Then I start chemotherapy less than one week later on Monday, September 10. I guess I’ll have to take that week off until I find out what the three drugs will do to me.

The port will make it easier to “shoot me up” when I’m in the office, but it also sounds like I’ll be wearing a portable pump, similar to a diabetic’s insulin pump, to keep a constant flow of one of the drugs going into my system.

One thing I do know, I’m going to be bald. I mean, even more than I already am. :-D I’m going to lose my hair!!

And, I’m going to be just like the Packers; I’m going to be taking Vicodin! Along with another prescription that will coat my esophagus and stomach, I should be able to EAT again. Yay-y-y-y-y!!! Hello, Big Mac!!

But there is a down side. These drugs for the chemotherapy can cause all sorts of problems; hearing loss (We do a baseline test on Tuesday, Sept 11), water retention, neuropathy (nerve damage or loss), among others I don’t remember right now. I’ll know more later.

So, I’ll work this Sunday and Monday, take Tuesday off to get the implanted port, Wednesday is up in the air right now (I’m supposed to work, but will I be able to?), and Thursday through Sunday is my off rotation. Starting Monday the 10th, I’ll be on vacation for a week until we find out how I can tolerate the regimen.

Still don’t know about the surgery. One step at a time, I guess.
Anything I missed? Any questions? Leave a comment. Please.

2 comments:

Ronny Finnerup said...

that was a bit of a mouth full to swollow, but seen this through a few times with those close to me gives a bit of insight atleast, both my mom and stepmom had chemo (going once a week to get it) this i guess was before the vein port and pump was used *ponder* but as to side affect none of them had any other than my stepmom lost her hair, as for my neighbor i cant remember if he had any hair loss or not but he did go through a few weeks where he had no clue what was going on around him but got better after the treatment but he had leukemia(sp) that might have something to do with the confusion not sure, so for the side affects i for one is not that worried, so hope that im rambeling will help in some little way

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the helpful post! I would not have gotten this otherwise!