Friday, August 31, 2007

FOOD!!!!!

Now that was a unique and pleasant experience!

The Vicodin and another drug called Carafate, allowed me to eat an 18.8 ounce can of Campbell's Chunky Grilled Chicken and Sausage Gumbo! Not entirely pain free, but pretty darn close.

I know that for you chunky soup is not a big deal. But I couldn't eat it, before. Tomorrow morning it's McDonald's Breakfast Burritos! Anyone want to join me?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Because I've lost so much weight, and because my blood pressure was 98/60 at the doctor's office today, and because the chemotherapy will probably lower my bp even more, my regular doctor called this evening and discontinued one of the three bp meds I had been taking. See, there is a bright side....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I want to go on record to say that I'm proud of my kids. Always have been, and I see no reason to stop now.

My daughter, Amy, has been a cool, calm, rational voice that I look for whenever there's a problem, like the one I'm going through right now. Now, I don't always agree with her but I still love her just the same.

And she's always thinking.

For example, she sent me a care package of Spanish language books and a couple of magazines that featured a favorite actress of mine with a note indicating that I needed some "light reading" while undergoing treatment. Actually it sounded more like homework to me. But, I had been thinking about spending some time while in treatment still trying to learn Spanish. See how much we can think alike?

And, she sent me a link to the Moffitt Cancer Treatment Center at the University of South Florida, one of the ten best in the nation, to offer an alternative to the folks I'm seeing now. I wish I could take her up on the opportunity to be treated there.

And Ben! What can I say?

Today, he got up in the middle of his night--he works second shift--to take me to the doctor. He sat through my discussions with the doctor, and offered insights about the discussion on the way home. And, he'll probably have to do it again on Tuesday when they implant the port in my chest.

Then, he stuck around for a while, before going off to work, and he sat in the sun in my rope chair swing that Amy brought back from South America for me, and I in my hammock, and talked about many, many, things. It was just what I needed, today.

Ben has always been kind of quiet and reserved. So when he suggested that he move in with me, I was startled. Pleased, but a little surprised. And with all the help he's given me already, I'm blown away by his desire to help his old man.

I don't know what this surly old curmudgeon did to deserve such great kids, but I'm very happy, and very proud, that they're mine. I don't want anyone to ever forget just how much I love them.

So, if you ever do forget, just ask me; I'll refresh your memory.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would love to join you at McDonalds again. Unfortunately I don't believe I'm going to be in the area. LOL

I'm happy to hear you're getting some relief from the pain and being able to enjoy food again. I hope your treatment goes well and isn't too draining on your system.

Çuzanne Larson Malliett Finnerup said...

I'll have a Breakfast Burritos too!
~~~~~~~~~
The post does look nice with the sqigglies in between the different topics. Nice job.
~~~~~~~~~
It does sound like you have the "worlds greatest son" and "worlds greatest daughter".

-HB said...

Nettie, that's right, we first met at a McDonalds! Every now and again, I think about Tom'sbroad and the kids that you had with you that day, and I smile. I had fun!

I had planned on going to a McDonald's that is closer to me, but now that you brought it up, I think I'll run over there. They have better food than the closer one.

Besides, if I remember why, I want to hit Wal Mart today.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cuz, you do have a bit farther to go to get your burrito than Nettie does. But I'll buy it for you!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks for the feedback on the tildes seperators. Habits take time to aquire.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"World's Greatest" is the title for the second place winners. My kids are better than that! "Universe's Greatest" That's MY kids!

Ronny Finnerup said...

hrmmm after spending some time snooping around wikipedia looking at what vicodin is i figured out that it is very simular to what i take for my back problems it is a codine/asprine combo pill just hope you wont suffer the same side affects i get from mine *ZzzZzzZZZ* *huh* *err* i tend to get drowsy on them and when on full dose (6 a day) i can sit in my chair and just stare into nothing like another zombie.

-HB said...

Sorry. Everyone around here knows what Vicodin is because it's always in the news when the Packers abuse it. Our version here uses acetominifen, no stomach upset.

I haven't experienced too much trouble yet, but maybe with use, after it's had a chance to build up im my system, I may find out that it is an issue.

I'll have to be very careful driving a truck. And the doctors knew that going in, so the rest is up to me. And I want to be a safe driver.