Wednesday, February 27, 2008

I GOT HUGGED!

I don’t normally kiss and tell, but today was kind of unusual for me.

They say that mixed emotions consist of watching your mother-in-law drive your new car over a cliff. Although I am happy to be leaving radiation therapy behind me, I am sad that I won’t be seeing the radiation technicians any more.

Two of the RTs, Paula, and Amy, the younger, presented me with a certificate on the occasion of my last treatment today. OK, it was a little corny but I didn’t mind. Besides, it appealed to my emotional side today, since we are in the sign of Pisces right now. But then they both gave me hugs. Totally unexpected! But very sweet, none-the-less. I will miss talking to them.

When we did talk, I wasn’t always up to my normal witty banter, what with the cancer and the side effects of the cancer and all. But they did their job well, worked well together, and most of the time they were cheerful. Hey, they’re human too!

“Research shows that the female brain naturally releases oxytocin after a 20-second hug.” OK, so there wasn’t any oxytocin released, but it did make my day, heck my week, brighter. And it needed brightening.

I’m still sleepy-tired, but not as physically fatigued as I was. I was able to walk to Kwik Trip today to get some ice cream. If only I could eat, I think I’d start to build up my strength. I had forgotten about ice cream being my “best friend” according to one of the oncologists. Why the ice cream?

I stopped after radiation to get some Chinese food, but could barely eat it. It hurt going through the Lower Esophageal Sphincter. And I had had my pain meds earlier. But I have been expecting it. So I thought I’d try the ice cream and see how that works for me.

The diarrhea and the gas have slowed down considerably, although I needed my white noise generator last night to keep me from waking up everytime I “rumbled.” But today has been pretty good.

But I get to sleep in the rest of the week. And I can use my sleep to heal! And don’t forget my supplements! I don’t have a doctor telling me I can’t have them now!

Kunolunkwa, y te quiero!

"As a juror, I will exercise my 1000-year-old duty to arrive at a verdict, not just on the basis of the facts of a particular case, or instructions I am given, but through my power to reason, my knowledge of the Bill of Rights, and my individual conscience. When needful, I will judge the law itself." -L. Neil Smith

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW - ice cream and hugs......just missing the kisses!!

-HB said...

WOW, it's not often I get to say this, so let me savor the moment just a little longer....... OK!

No Robin, actually you're wrong! :-D

My duaghter recently sent home over six bags of Hershey's Kisses. There was one tube of five Hershey's New York Cheesecake Kisses!!!! I mentioned it here, http://hbensblog.blogspot.com/2008/02/i-dont-feel-so-bad.html.

I have tried at least one a day, waiting for my taste buds to come back. So far no such luck. After the Cheesecake Kisses, I like the Almond Kises, then the Dark Chocolate Raspberry Kisses.

But I don't remember how many kisses I had yesterday.

But thanks for reminding me of something that I wanted to do for one of my posts.