Monday, January 14, 2008

MHE 2

When we last left our hero it was going on the night of his first day in the hospital, he was tired having been up since 6:30AM to get to his appointment at VLCC early, so he could get to his PCP’s office at 8:30AM. And we know how that worked out, don’t we?

By this time I had hooked up the computer and was on line via an unsecured WiFi link. Because it was unsecured and the hospital could read everything I wrote, I didn’t visit my blog but contented to play at some other sites. In retrospect, I could have logged my impressions to a Word document for later posting, but that would have required thinking.

It took me so long to get online because the only outlets available were on the bed, and Nurse A. didn’t know if they could be used. She put in a call to the computer area, but they never got back to the customer, I mean the patient, with an answer. The nurse on nights had no issues with using the bed outlets and plugged me right in!

So there I was, trying to sleep and couldn’t! Nothing I tried would let me sleep without chemical intervention. And no chemicals were forthcoming.

Morning came and I was still trying to get some sleep. Nurse Lisa came in to get some blood and needed another nurse to have my port accessed. I told her that I’d been up all night. The night nurse—I wish I could remember her name, she was a cutie—confirmed my story. She told Nurse Lisa that every time she came in to check on me my eyes were open!

Dr. M—the new pulmonary guy, it was his third day there—came in later, talked with me, and said he’d order some Ambien for me for later in the morning. It never came!

So Day 2, Thursday, consisted of getting a chest X-ray looking for the source of my cough.

It was fun talking to the volunteers taking me to the X-ray department. I told them that I was the only member of the world’s smallest minority. That got them interested! So I explained that, as an individual I was the only one exactly like me. Then they laughed when I explained that they too were the only members of the world’s smallest minority of people exactly like them. I had them laughing, nodding, and agreeing with me in short order. It was fun! Made my sleepless day go easier.

Not much else happened that day that I remember. I kept the lights low and tried to sleep, but sleep never came. It was only when I was playing my music down low and attempting to sleep that I noticed that I might, just might, have dozed for a minute or two. Never for very long, I just missed hearing the entire song a couple of times.

Night came and I got my sleeping pill. Blissful sleep! I had them close the door so the hall noise wouldn’t disturb me, but it wasn’t necessary. I slept until they awakened me to do vitals and I went right back to sleep.

I had been awake, or almost so, for 39 hours!!!!!! The nurses were amazed that I was still functioning, and functioning as well as I was! 39 freakin’ hours because they didn’t pay attention to my personal meds.

Did I mention that I didn’t get all of my blood pressure meds? They were driving me nuts, not giving my meds on time, not giving me the meds I would have been taking at home—they gave me Prilosec instead of Protonix, so why do I need the more expensive med at home?—and not giving me my supplements, obviously!

Let me take a moment to describe how they had me trussed up. I had had my port accessed and fluids going in there. I had a large bore IV stuck in my left ante-cubital vein at the elbow joint. They had used it for the CTPA and had just left it there. I had monitoring telemetry leads stuck all over my chest. AND, I had a nasal canula piping oxygen into my nostrils going at two liters a minute! I was all set.

Considering I had heard a Code Blue on third floor ICU and an “intervention” in the room next to me, I was glad they were so worried about me!

Day 3, Friday--I slept in until they came in to take my vitals. Now, I don’t remember if it was this particular AM, but one of the night nurses did my lung sounds. She had me sit up and put the stethoscope to my back. But the first thing I noticed was that she wasn’t listening in the normal areas; she was way outside those. She didn’t have me take any deep breaths. I just sat there waiting for the command to “Take a deep breath” and it never came. She then proceeded to listen to my heart sounds. At least she got those right!

They came in early Friday to do an echocardiogram. I later found out that my heart is in good shape although I do have some very slight leakage from one of the valves. Considering I had at least one blood clot go through my heart, it could be just a chunk that got hung up and will eventually go way. Time will tell.

I had Respiratory Therapy (RT) come in and do a treatment where I breathe a mist deep into my lungs. It’s supposed to open up the passageways, or something. The only thing it did was make me lose control of my fine muscle motor skills. I tried typing into my HP iPAQ and couldn’t even hit the letters. It did make me cough more, as well!

Later Dr M. told me that a cough was a symptom of a PE. So why were they doing RT? Especially since later the RT folks came back with an Advair inhaler and got me started on that. I think that they were trying to sell me everything they could since I was there!

I had asked Ben to bring in a telephone cable since there was a data port on the side of the phone. I could use a dial-up connection to my ISP and be able to access my accounts with considerably more confidence than by using their WiFi setup. Unfortunately, I didn’t have my account info with me so that didn’t happen. Sorry!

Day 4 was Saturday. I slept well again last night with the sleeping meds. They got me ready to go home but forgot to send my Advair inhaler with me. Checking later, it’s not even listed on the list of meds that they had for me at the hospital. They had a new med listed, the cough med that they had me on, but they never put it on the list of Discharge Prescriptions. But I wasn’t feeling well; I had had a “stomach issue” over breakfast similar to my March 16 trip to the ER and it affected my whole day apparently. I had been eating just fine until then. I was even complaining about th elack of taste! But my lack of IP-6 due to being in the hospital might have had something to do with it. Don’t know.

Anyway, I wasn’t mentally up to the challenge of keeping the doctors and nurses in line.

Ben and I stopped on the way home to pick up the one tablet of antibiotic that I needed for the next day, and the sleeping pills that they had me on. I didn’t notice at that time that the cough med wasn’t on the list.

We got home and I laid down for a nap, which I hardly ever do, and surprise, surprise, I slept until 5:00PM

I called back Saturday afternoon to find out about the cough med and was rewarded by a return call from a rather snippy Dr. M. He said that he would send the prescriptions to the pharmacy. Since I needed to update my blood pressure meds, I waited for a while and then went on line to let the pharmacy know about my needed refills. A refill for the Adair was there, but the cough med wasn’t. I waited until Monday and called my PCP.

When I went I today to pick up my meds, I refused the Advair prescription. I also found out that the cough med wasn’t a prescription med. Was that why it wasn’t on the list of Discharge Prescriptions? I have had OTC meds put on a script before. Why was this different? Or was it just one of those things a patient with chemobrain was supposed to know?

I had tried calling my son using the hospital room phone because cell phones don’t work very well in that building. I could never get him or his machine; the phone would just continue to ring. I had tried dialing just one number and listening for a recorded message; nothing. On my last day there, I found out that I had to dial for an outside line to call my son. There had been no instructions when I got there; there was no indication on the phone at all. How the heck was I supposed to know I needed an outside access number to call out?

That’s enough bitching.

Basically, I had three issues. I was anemic. I expected that, that’s what the IP-6 does to deny the cancer cells the necessary iron to live.

I had at least one blood clot that the VLCC hadn’t looked for or caught that needed to be addressed.

And I had a cough, that can be a symptom of the PE or it cold be the result of an infection. Currently it looks like it’s not an infection, letting Mike and Amy off the hook! :-D

Now, I’m just trying to catch up with the rest of my life while sleeping in due to the meds. I have Radiation Therapy backed off until Thursday and I don’t know when my next chemo will start. BTW, I saw ANOTHER oncologist; Dr. P. is on vacation. I did ask him about the Maruyama vaccine. He said that he hadn’t heard about it but that he’d look it up!

Let me know if I missed anything that you wanted to know. And if someone can get me the name of that nurse….

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yours truly was happy you had some time to 'poke' around at other places. It was really nice to see you posting your wisdom and I absolutely LOVE the way you dealt with our resident irritant. *thumbs up*

I'm really glad you're back home where you can be most comfortable and I look forward to hearing of your experience with radiation.

Anonymous said...

"That's enough bitching." Hhhmmmm..... on that note ;-). There's something I've been meaning to discuss here. And PLEASE do NOT think that I am criticizing. I am not. That is not my intent at all.

But, I've been worried about your mood, anger, affect, Now, I understand anyone in your situation NEEDS to vent, and that is healthy. I also know that it is SOOO much easier to SAY, rather than do, when people say, "stay positive!"

But, I hate to think that you are going through this very tough situation angry and frustrated all the time.

Is there anything your friends and loved ones can do to help with your frustrations? Can we do anything to help boost your mood and alleviate some of this stress at all? I know everyone reading this blog would be glad to help, if they just knew what they COULD DO! In fact, the hardest part for loved ones in this situation is the feeling of helplessness... of not being able to do anything at all to "fix" it.

So, that's just my daughter/counselor/analytical two cents... take it or leave it ;-).

-HB said...

"Wisdom?" Go wash your mouth out, or wash your fingers off; WASH SOMETHING! Wisdom, indeed!

I tried to teach my kids to be analytical. They would ask me a question and I'd give them a obviously false answer. They knew it and I knew it. The object was they should seek answers for themselves.

I just hope that some of that rubbed off on me! ;-) Time will tell.

And how can such an intelligent guy be such an irritation is beyond me.

BTW, have I mentioned lately how proud and impressed I am by my kids? I wouldn't want anyone, much less my kids, to think that I'm not proud as Hal of my kids!

Just the other day before I went into the hospital, my son, the diplomat, when I was complaining about how the tumor in my stomach didn't want food in there bothering it, said, "it's a good thing that you are smarter than your stomach." Was that smooth or what? I told my daughter about how much I loved it. I told my son, after I came home from the hospital how much I enjoyed his response. And now I'm telling the world about it.

But that's the difference between my kids; my son is very diplomatic and indirect while my daughter is very direct sometimes, and I love them both!!

I know that it can be hard for those reading this blog because it is something I'm having to go through and there is very little that anyone can do to help. As I've said before, there are nurses at the clinic that I can see my pain mirrored in their faces, even as I feel bad that I'm hurting them, I love them for it. I even stopped in one day just to say "Hi" to Becky, the receptionist, when I was feeling pretty good so she could see me feeling good for a change!

And you don't often get to hear me when I AM positive; I use my anger and frustration to motivate me to blog! Sorry! But usually, I'm pretty up. It's just been a battle lately with the fatigue, my cough due to the blood clots, and my frustration with the Conventional Medicine folks in particular, and a poorly run hospital facility in general.

I just got done talking to ANOTHER part of my insurance company and did Nurse Caroline, RN Oncology, get an earful. (BTW, they'd pay for transportation and housing if I went to HLM in Tampa!! If the Feds would even let me on the plane.) But I gave her a whole bunch of things to think about including the use of IP-6 AND the Maruyama vaccine for cancer treatment. And she was interested!!

But, I use my anger and frustration as motivation. I am use to doing for myself, so I don't know how or what anyone can do to help in this situation. Most of anything that needs to be done, needs my attention anyway.

Hearing from Emilia was a great boost to my well-being! I walked around smiling, inwardly at least, all day. I hope that Robin makes sure that she knows that! Memories of happier times!

AND, as Nettie pointed out, I AM taking some of it out on other poor unsuspecting slobs in other venues, so that means that I am starting to get back into my old routine. :-D

The cough med I am taking now isn't the one that I was taking in the hospital, but it does seem to be helping. Nurse Caroline suggested codeine as a cough suppressant and it would help suppress my diarrhea as well. I like someone who looks for the silver linings in the storm clouds! ;-)

But, I am still willing to talk about it if you want to make suggestions. And give me some time to think about them. :-) You know that! I wouldn't keep asking for suggestions if I wouldn't follow some of them. I had a boss once who said, "No one of us is as smart as all of us." I could argue the point, but I like to run with it usually!

And you have helped! It was you who brought up the Maruyama Vaccine that I would start taking in a minute if I had a doc that would prescribe it. I'm waiting to hear back from the VLCC. And I just tried the local natural doc only there was no answer????

Did that help at all?

Anonymous said...

HB,

I'm going to take a wild guess here but I have a hunch that the 'anger' we see written here IS written here so it's not taken out on those you're having to deal with in these situations. I'd be willing to bet 9 times out of 10 the person you're dealing with isn't the one responsible for the shoddy procedure and disorganization you're running up against. Knowing you as I do I just can't see you taking your anger and frustration out on that person. Therefore, you come back here and blog to us. Our job is to read (listen) and be your sounding board. If we have suggestions, we can offer them but the biggest service we provide to you is a place to vent.

How far off base am I?

-HB said...

Nettie, you've read my "Sticky" Schedule post!!!! I spoke of my belly-aching there.

And you're right; I can't take it out on the people in the trenches. Most of the time it's a system problem, and the folks on the line can't do a thing about it. Sometimes it might be the person on the line, but I can't be for sure. So I can't say a thing.

I'd prefer to make them feel as good as they can about doing their job correctly.

A secretary at General Foods had a quote on her slide out counter thingy at her desk by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe that I will always remember. It went like this, “When we treat man as he is, we make him worse than he is; when we treat him as if he already were what he potentially could be, we make him what he should be.”

But, yeah, letting me vent, making soothing noises, and sometimes slapping me on the head and saying "WTF are you thinking?" is also a really big help.

So, yeah, you're doing pretty good there, friend! *wink*