Friday, January 25, 2008

Chocolate Cayenne Truffles

OK, this is where I got my recipe from for my famous, or at least infamous, Trufa de Chocolate y Cayena. It is a bit on the “warm” side for most folks, but the chocolate does “smooth out” the heat.

~~~~~~~~~

I stopped at Bed, Bath, and Beyond today after RT, looking for a lotion applicator. Didn’t find anything worth mentioning. So, the search continues.

~~~~~~~~~

That meant that I got home a little later than normal and for some reason, I couldn’t fall asleep, even under my new quilt. So, I’ve been up all afternoon! Don’t you just hate it when that happens?

But I guess my lack of an afternoon nap was offset by how good I felt upon waking this morning. I wish that I could wake up every day feeling like that.

~~~~~~~~~

I was only partially kidding when I complained that a side effect of one of my new anti-cancer drugs was stomach pain. I don’t know now if it’s the tumor or the drugs that they have me on that is causing my stomach pain. But I think that the stomach is getting better. Then again, I’m on pain meds as well. It could be just the hydrocodone talking.

Ah, life in the fast lane!

Not much to say today so I’ll cut this short.

Kunolunkwa!

"As a juror, I will exercise my 1000-year-old duty to arrive at a verdict, not just on the basis of the facts of a particular case, or instructions I am given, but through my power to reason, my knowledge of the Bill of Rights, and my individual conscience. When needful, I will judge the law itself." -L. Neil Smith

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That recipe's quite different from mine—mostly the powdered sugar and that they're rolled in a powdered sugar and spice mixture, rather than enrobed in chocolate. But tempering chocolate's hard to do, and quite time consuming.

Now you have me tempted to tweak my recipe! The ginger sounds like a good addition.

-HB said...

Actually, the hard chocolate cover would actually work better. One of the problems I had was the discoloration of the powder coating after a while. While not for sure, I assumed that the butter was "wetting" the coating, spoiling the "presentation." And it's hard to keep them in the refrigerator all the time.

"There's gotta be a better way."

It goes without saying that I have more to learn about truffleteering. :-D

Anonymous said...

I don't know if it's a better way, but it's certainly a different way ... tempering chocolate can be challenging, and it requires a lot of stirring if one does it by hand. There are tempering machines, but they aren't cheap, and my understanding is they aren't close to "plug and play". So I can understand why a lot of home candymakers go for rolling a coating of something over the truffle center.

You're right, it could be the moisture from the butter seeping through the sugar coating. It could also be from the humidity of the refrigerator ... or the truffles touching. That can compact the coating enough for the butterfat to "wet" the coat, as you put it.

The more I work with chocolate, the more I realize there's a lot still to learn, too. But it's fun, and so rewarding when you see someone's face light up after eating one of your candies.

-HB said...

"...and so rewarding when you see someone's face light up after eating one of your candies."

I like hearing the "mmmmmmmmmmm's" and the requests for recipes! :-D

Anonymous said...

Several things:
First, the quilt is very nice.. a great talent and a lovely gift.
Second, I have had several "nurse kittys" in my life. It seems that some are better at it than others.
One named "Tinkerbell" would wake me up in the night when Amy was having nocturnal reactions.
Another, "Angel", caredfor me for nine lovely years, and I now have another,"June" who does her best, but doesn't seem to be as polished at it as the others were. Yesterday, I had such a headache, and she lay down on my head so thoroughly that I had to keep moving her to clear my airways!
*** Now, about applying the lotion. One can purchase a loofah or other type of bath brush, and wrap gauze around it, or a clean sock, or whatever you can think of, and use that to apply the lotion to the back. shorter versions of this can be made from new wooden spoons.
Good luck with it. I'd be happy to come and help. Just holler.
All mine,
KMMK

-HB said...

"One named "Tinkerbell" would wake me up in the night when Amy was having nocturnal reactions."

Let's just clarify this a bit. Amy is a diabetic and when her blood sugar would get low, she would react to the condition and Tinkerbell would alert Kris to the situation.

And it was your cats, among others, that made me think about the situation. So when I heard that their purr could heal bones, I had flashbacks to your cats.

If that's all it takes to apply the lotion, I can whip something up like that with what's already on hand. But that sounds like it would use up a lot of lotion. I figured something store-bought would have solved that problem.

As it is, the Radiation Oncologist Nurse J. says that I shouldn't have any problems with the dose I'm getting. I hope not!