Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep...

...If I should die before I wake, I want you guys to sue the City!!

OK, I am feeling better a bit. The problem with that is that I think I can do more. :-D

I went to have my labs done and to follow up with the VLCC. They found that I was low on magnesium again and put a bag in me. Then I went grocery shopping. Between them both, I was plumb tuckered out. So, I made supper about 3:00 and started my Dark Angel series again—I ran out of NCIS—while I ate and rested.

Then I did something foolish.

We had snow here a while back. My roommate went out and shoveled for me, bless his heart. But I didn’t tell him about all the little rules and I was too exhausted to supervise.

You would think that when it snows, the City should clean the streets, curb to curb. They don’t! They get within a half a lane and call it a day.

Well, the Federal Government, in the form of the United States Postal Service, can’t and won’t drive though that half a lane of snow to deliver the mail. What was that about “Neither rain nor snow…?” ‘Course I can’t really blame them. But what does the USPS do? Do they call the City and tell them that they can’t get close enough to the mailbox to complete their appointed rounds?

NO!!!!!

They reach or walk across the snow and put a little card in the mailbox explaining how they’d like the property owner or renter to shovel the frickin’ STREET!!! I wish I had my scanner hooked up. You'd like the little diagram. The card explains how they're not permitted to exit the vehicle to deliver mail.

OK, my roommate did call and say that he’d blow out in front of the mailbox when he got home from work. But he works second shift and it’s already cold out there. It’s supposed to get down to 6 bone chilling degrees tonight.

And all I was going to do was run the snow blower to clear away in front of the mailbox so the mailman could deliver my bills and their junk mail. I should be able to hang on and remain standing and let the blower do the work, right?

It was more than I bargained for! The snow was packed hard. I had to break up the snow with a shovel. You can see that in the first photo. So there I am fighting a bucking blower mere inches, literally, from oncoming traffic,

If you look at the photos you will see wet road inches from the snow bank. That’s where the car's tires were rolling when I wasn’t right at the edge of the snow. And remember, my blower is 24” wide: two FEET! From the photos you’ll see that means I had four feet of roadway to clear! In the last photo you can see where the concrete curb and gutter ends and the asphalt roadway begins.

I thought that government was supposed to take care of us, not the other way around. It’s pretty bad when a 56-year-old cancer patient on chemotherapy has to do the work for the City.

That’s it for me. I’m going to bed. I know it’s early but darn it, I am really worn out!

Talk quietly amongst yourselves.

No comments: