Saturday, November 24, 2007

Flying Saucers?

Not much went on today. The Sominex seemed to work well; I only had to get up twice and I seemed to fall back asleep rather quickly. It seems I may end up getting addicted to diphenhydramine.

I haven’t been feeling particularly well lately. I was cold when I woke up so I turned the thermostat up to 68 degrees. That and two layers of fleece seemed to work. I just remembered that I wanted to dig out my cold weather clothes, including long johns that I might start wearing around the house! So I grabbed them from the basement.

But I was running a temp of 99.5 earlier this evening, so there I was shedding clothes. I usually run a degree lower than average, so for me, I had a temp of what most folks would consider 100.5. But since I’ll be in to see the doc on Monday, I’ll wait to see what they have to say.

~~~~~~~~~

Ken, I did an Internet search and found a site to tell me how to replace the headlight in my vehicle. So, armed with a can of penetrating oil which I love, BTW, I loosened the clips that I couldn’t remove by hand earlier and changed out the bulb. I’ll have to see whether or not it works later. That light is only out when it’s dark. It works fine during the day. Huh????? I know!

~~~~~~~~~~

You know, I signed several of those release forms to get my documentation from the hospital and the clinic. Over two weeks ago I sent a check in for my old info from two years back and I still haven’t seen any of it. What does a person have to do to get their info?

~~~~~~~~~

I finally found out what I have. I needed to fill out a form for a death or disability policy for my vehicle loan and I had the paperwork returned to me. So, I found that I have “Invasive adenocarcinoma of the esophagus with metastasis to stomach and lymph nodes.” That makes me a Stage 4A patient. Or at least, I was a Stage 4. I don’t know if, due to chemo and the like, one can revert to a previous stage.

~~~~~~~~~

I tried to make an in-house version of my deer camp chili, but the chili was a bust. I don’t know what went wrong; it’s the first time I ever lost a batch of chili. I don’t know if it was the pot, the fact that I scorched a little of the meat, or the fact that the mix or the tomato sauce might have been over eight years old. It didn’t have a use-by-date.

But I had to throw it out. It smelled and tasted like cow pies. Not very appetizing.

~~~~~~~~~

I’m going to leave you with a question that will eventually lead to a post, maybe even tomorrow while I can still think. Here it is:

How many flying saucers does it take to prove that flying saucers exist?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just the fact they could possibly exist is enough for me to not discount their existence.

Now.....for the REAL burning question:

How do you know what a cow pie tastes like?

Anonymous said...

hey,uncle hb! My husband finally got out of the hospital on Thursday just in time to see the second half of the packer game and deep fry a turkey! Mom came over to help cook and sister and her daughter, brother and his new wife came over too. Not surprisingly, the boys did make it out to the woods on saturday! (JRae had to work)they both got a shot off on a doe, and they both missed:( They are going out again tomorrow, maybe they will have better luck!Thanks for coming up to the hospital, it was great visiting with you. Take care! Kunolunkwa

Anonymous said...

Ummm, just to throw my 2 cents in, here.... i'd say the OVER EIGHT YEARS OLD might have something to do with it!!! Stuff goes bad, even "non-perishables." Spices don't last that long, either, so lord knows what was stewing in that package ;-)! Did you hear about the ground beef recall? Wisconsin is one of the states affected.....

-HB said...

Nettie, when I was just a yonker I spent summers on my grandfather’s farm running around barefoot in the pastures and helping milk the cows the old-fashioned way. I could almost milk cows standing up rather than sitting on the old three-legged stool! If you don’t think there enough ways to “get a taste” when you are that close to the ground, trust me, there are! And you never forget the taste! :-P

Kunolunkwa, I’m glad to hear that not everyone has forgotten their woodsy ways! Now if they could only shoot straight! And I’m glad that your 'big boy' was able to get out and about. That big building just down the street can be a scary place sometimes, especially when you’re inside it.

I’ll cross my fingers that your hunters see something today, that they get a chance to shoot, that they get their shot, and that they make the shot! That is a lot of chances but I’ll still hope you guys have venison tenderloins for supper tonight!

BTW, I spent some time on-line trying to find the meaning of your name and couldn’t find anything. I did see where the UWGB has started an Oneida Language Project. It’s about time! But maybe you can tell me sometime.

And it was great seeing you guys. Maybe we can arrange it so we don’t have to meet in the hospital. The wedding wasn’t bad, but it was too difficult to let our hair down. :-D

Amycita, I said “might have been.” I know that it came over with me from our old place three years ago now! I guess sooner or later I’ll have to go through the cupboards and check expiration dates. Maybe I’ll have to start putting purchase dates on the stuff I buy and stick in the cupboards. Maybe we can do that when you’re home? :-)

And I hadn’t heard about a recall, seeing as how I don’t watch TV and don’t listen much to radio. I’m rather insular that way. And the FSIS.FDA.GOV article doesn’t say when the ground beef was produced. But I did cook it to an internal temp over 160 degrees (some of it actually scorched) and I didn’t eat that much, trust me!

But thanks for the heads up!

-HB said...

Kunolunkwa, I was going to sugest to you that you not use your email address as your identity due to 'spambots' that patrol the Internet looking for that little @ symbol and an associated address. But you snookered both me and the spambots.

When I sent an email to you @ that address, it came back as undeliverable. So good for you! But just a word to the wise, never post your email address on-line! Unless you want your mailbox to fill up with spam.

Anonymous said...

Oh boy.....I had to ask, didn't I?

Anonymous said...

Btw....while eating dinner last night I learned something new. Were you aware that a deer has both an inner loin and an outer loin?

I'm not much of a venison fan unless it's canned or made into jerky but whichever loin I tasted last night was actually quite tasty.

-HB said...

No, I wasn't aware of an 'outer loin.' The tenderloin I'm familiar with is also called the 'backstrap' because it is a pair of muscles lying inside the ribs parallel to the backbone. I would assume that those are the inner loins.

SO, unless we're talking about something like Rocky Mountain Oysters, I wouldn't know what they are.

*Cue the soundtrack Summer Lovin' from the movie 'Grease'* "Tell me more, tell me more. Ahh, ahh. Ahh, ahh."

Anonymous said...

I've asked my son and this is what I was told:

The outer loin aka the backstrap is found along the spine on top of the ribs if the deer were standing. The inner loin is much smaller and found along the spine inside the ribs. Both are referred to as tenderloins.

Rocky Mountain Oysters....eeeeeeeeewwwwwwww!

-HB said...

Now see, I've always heard that the inner tenderloin was the backstrap. And I'd never heard of an outer tenderloin. So, I'm out of my depth, here. Therfore I'm invoking Swanson's Rule Number 1: "Learn to say, 'I don't know.' If used when appropriate, it will be used often."

Never tried the "oysters" myself. I've heard they're good when fixed right..... :-D