Thursday, October 25, 2007

“No Pain, No Gain”

That’s what Dr. Bergman had said, and he’s right. Unfortunately I’m the one “in pain.” Now, it’s not really pain per se; more like discomfort.

I get the hiccups, a SFX (side effect(s) ) of the meds. It can be distracting. Along with the hiccups, I also have trouble swallowing, or at least initiating swallowing. Will I start a hiccup when I swallow? It has happened, usually when trying to take my meds. Very disconcerting.

And my desire to eat has gone away. I’ve had some ice cream, part of a Filet-o-Fish sandwich, a can of chicken noodle soup, a little bit of a Seroogy’s candy bar (it was for a charity!!), and I think that’s about it. I stopped by Wal-Mart and picked up some chewable BeneFiber tablets ‘cause I’m not eating anything I can mix the powder into.

I tried to eat donuts and found that I couldn't stand them. But I had a Jones for something like that. Then I realized that it was a Jones for turnovers. I've tried Wal-Mart's (yuck), Woodman's (not too bad), and Hardee's (gag). I've been sharing these with Ben.

So I decided to go with something that I know that I used to like, Dino Shell turnovers!! So, while I was out, I stopped by and picked up a couple. Ben even tells me they hear on a police scanner that the cops like 'em too. Can you believe that I brought them home and haven't even tried 'em. That's how much I don't feel like eating . I'll still share, though. Ben, there's one on the counter for you. Leave the other one for me tomorrow, maybe. I'll force myself.

This is why I was 194 pounds this AM vs. 197 pounds yesterday. I’m not a big fan of the ups and downs of my weight due to the edema, the diuretics, and the lack of appetite.

~~~~~~~~~

While at the store, I happened to look into one of those 10X magnifying mirrors. I was surprised to see that the hair on my face that I can feel actually shows up. So I have a really, really, really, skimpy beard. I could “shave” with a tweezers. Normally, back when I had a beard, I would shave my throat in the shower rather than go through the extra effort of getting all lathered up at the sink.

Now, it looks like I’ll be taking Ronny’s advice. I, too, have a shaving mug with the bar of soap and a badger-haired brush. I’ll get all lathered up like they did in the old days and shave that way. Now, I do have a straight razor with a leather belt as a strop. Nah, I think I’ll just use my Gillette for right now. My hands get a little shaky under chemo. Amy has had a chance to watch that happen!

~~~~~~~~~

Anybody know what the drug Protonix, a proton-pump inhibitor, does? It shuts off the acid supply to the stomach. Acid, which is necessary to ionize the magnesium oxide into a form more easily absorbed by the stomach. Apparently as we age, we make less hydrochloric acid, which means we absorb less of the magnesium we do get as we get older, leading to the magnesium deficiency related diseases. Why don’t doctors know this and prescribe accordingly, since it affects sleep, moods, and energy levels? All things I’m in need of.

I guess the lady in one of Lois’ links was right; you have to become an armchair expert on your own illness. Thanks Lois!

~~~~~~~~~

I’m sorry I’m so late with this post. I’ve been out most of the day after Ben went to work getting some things done. I still don’t know when or where Tim & Shelly’s wedding will be, but I WILL find out.

~~~~~~~~~

BTW, I didn’t mean to make it sound like it was so easy to get approvals to use my supplements. As I explained to my HR rep at work, it went something like this:


“It is interesting that when I was “just a truck driver” I couldn't take my supplements without argument. When I explained yesterday, however, that I have been a lab tech in both a Vitamin and Mineral Lab, and a Main Analytical Chemistry Lab for food-related products; I set up a analytical chemistry lab for a local manufacturer as a Quality Control Manager; I have been a Quality Assurance Manager for a Contract Medical Device Manufacturer having to deal with the FDA regularly; along with being a QA/QC Manager in a few other industries; all of a sudden, they find out that I might know something about what I’m talking about. The arguments dropped almost to nothing.”

~~~~~~~~~

Well, I’m trying to stay up late tonight, so I sleep late tomorrow, so I don’t crash early tomorrow night. I’d like to enjoy the wedding. I can’t do that if I’m falling asleep.

I’m taking my camera. Maybe I can talk them into allowing me to post a pic or two.

~~~~~~~~~

Right now, I’m going to finish my Ionic Magnesium, plug in a movie, and try to clear my mind.

Speaking of movies, Robin, I ordered a 3-movie copy of Drew Barrymore’s Never Been Kissed/Fever Pitch/Ever After. I’ll get it in a week or so.

And Amy, I bought Shrek 1 & 2 for further study!

~~~~~~~~~

I know that I’m sounding a bit ungrateful in this post. But it goes with the territory, I guess. I learned a few things from the nurse about the mood changes that goes along with the chemo. So, I don’t want you to think that I’m ungrateful after hearing the good news I heard yesterday. And I’m definitely NOT ungrateful for all your support, spoken and unspoken, expressed and unexpressed. Thank you!

~~~~~~~~~

Another note. I don’t know if you noticed but Blogspot had added a feature so that you can check a box on the page of any comment you make and get notification of any replies to your comment in your email box. How cool is that? I get that feature as an author. Now you can get it as a commenter! Use it wisely! :-D

Later!

No comments: