Wednesday, October 24, 2007

“Dramatic Improvement”

And I suppose I have you to blame, I mean to bless, for those words I heard today. As with any undertaking, it’s the support team, the cheerleading squad, which always seems to be overlooked. I think that’s unfair. I may have done the suffering, but you guys have done the supporting, which may be even harder than suffering, and I thank you for it.

The feeling I got from the PET scan technician has proven correct. The three lymph nodes that had contained cancer cells appear to be clear, no sign of cancer activity. The tumor in the stomach has been reduced by 1/2 to 1/3 the original size, which was pretty big to begin with.

I’m hoping to get copies of the scans. When I do, I’ll post them on the blog.

Doctor Patel stated that their expectations, their hopes, after the second course of chemotherapy is to simply have held the cancer at bay, to have kept it from growing any more. To find that the cancer has been substantially reduced after Round 2 is a “dramatic improvement!”

It seemed significant to me that my Nurse For The Day, Nurse Diane, seemed to know which two words I meant when I mentioned hearing two good words from the doctor. One of the other nurses that heard about the results from me has already used the “R” word: remission. There's hope, yet!

That still means that I have to suffer through Round 3 of chemotherapy. But with any luck, and the support of my cheerleading squad, there may not be a need for Round 4. I have no knowledge of what will happen after Round 3, though. I think that we’re playing it by ear, here.

But, to help me get through Round 3, I have obtained an agreement from Dr. Patel allowing me to use my vitamins and minerals. I will also be able to use some of my other supplements like the turmeric and curcumin for joint pain, melatonin to get to sleep, etc. I will have to run other supplements by him for approval. I’m hoping that I will be able to use the Enzymatic Therapy IP-6 for several reasons. The strength I have isn't the "cancer" strength, but it will help with joint and other issues. But the Vitamin D and the magnesium will certainly help my “quality of life.”

So, things are looking good!

My thanks to all of you for helping to keep my spirits up. I have a certain core strength in my “stubbornness,” but it always helps to have support from “lots of people who love you,” as one of my email correspondents has put it.

So give yourself a big pat on the back, have a drink if you do (I was told by a nurse that I could have an “occasional” drink), and help me celebrate this victory!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hurray! Great news!

Anonymous said...

WOW! That is amazing... so we might not even need to worry about surgery!?!? Again, keeping my fingers crossed ;-). I hope this round of chemo isn't too bad.

Anonymous said...

You just made my day a happy one! I'll be pulling out the cork screw tonight........

-HB said...

Thanks, Nettie! It IS great news!

Amy, please forgive me, but this is your cynical father speaking. They won't make any more money off me if they cure me with just chemo. But, will I need such a radical surgical procedure that might leave me permanently disabled? That's where second opinions come in.

I just noticed that I have one more refill of my dexamethasone. That would mean a possible Round 4 of chemotherapy, yet.

Robin, I'm glad that I could make your day a happy one. Have one for me, too. It'll be a while before I think about having one. No, wait; that's wrong! I'm thinking about one right now, but it might not be advantageous for me to have one just now, if you know what I mean.

But, thanks everybody for the great thoughts!!

Anonymous said...

Great News, my friend! You've been in my thoughts and prayers as always. I've been out of touch due to a series of cervical epidurals that kicked my butt.
I heard on the news that Aurora clinc sponsoors a new treatment for cancer using a laser. It is called the "C-knife", or something, and there is supposed to be one here in Wisconsin, I think they said "Wautoma"?. they do non-invasive cancer surgery with it. It is owrth checking out. If you are not up to it, let me know and I will be happy to do it. Ken noticed a comercial on it and is watching for it for more info.
I hope that this next round is not so bad. Tears for your leg.
All mine, and all the best,
Kris

-HB said...

Thanks, Kris.

Forgive me this AM, actually PM now, but I've been up for only an hour or so and I'm still "under the weather" and groggy so I might not type so good and/or make sense, or even be able to spell.

I did do a quick search the other day for your C-knife and didn't find anything. Maybe you could find something. But, non-invasive? Isn't that external only? Isn't the EGD procedure "invasive" by definition? In order to "operate" on a stomach/esophageal (look, I can spell) tumor, they would have to "invade" the body, my body. Right?

Let me know if you find anything, and thanks again.