Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Hired Help

The thought occurs to me that if I were going to hire help, I’d hire a housekeeper, not a masseuse. I just finished vacuuming the carpets, washing the dishes, cleaning the kitchen, building the window shelf for the cats, WAIT! STOP!! I haven’t told you about that yet!

The windows in this house are all relatively high. The cats can’t see out the windows, especially Himmy. So, when Amy was home, we checked into getting something store-bought to help in that regard.

I figured that the kitchen window was probably the best window to use--all my squirrels are visible from there--but it’s three feet off the floor. So we found a shelf that attaches to the windowsill and just kinda hangs there. So how would Himmy make that transition from floor to shelf? I’d have to build something. So, if I’m going to build a ramp or stairs, I might as well build the shelf as well. And I have. It’s all set up except for the ramp and the carpeting. Maybe tomorrow.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I suppose that it should come as no surprise that I haven’t received a short-term disability check yet. So I checked with my HR contact today. She did some investigation and the results came back that the insurance company is waiting for some info from my doctors. “Who’d a thunk it?” I talked with them and they are "looking into it."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As a result of chemotherapy, I am also experiencing some neuropathy or nerve damage. I have occasional numb spots on my hands and feet. At least they aren’t causing me pain, yet, although that may end up being a possibility. So my ears are ringing and my hands and feet are numb, all due to the chemo.

Another side effect (S-FX) of the chemo is a personality change. I don’t know if you’ve noticed it yet or not. But it is there. I’ve been watching it for some time now, wondering how bad it’s going to get and how well I’ll be able to control it. So far so good, but it does pop up occasionally. And that’s on top of being tired, hungry, low or high blood sugar, etc.

And it’s not as if I haven’t gone through this before. (I am going to have to write that story one of these days.) So, if you hear me say or do something that may not sound like me, it may not really be me but the chemicals talking.

And remember, a change in brain chemistry doesn’t mean that the person in possession of the brain is a bad person. (You know whom I’m talking about. I hope things are going well with that situation.)

I stopped spanking my kids when Ben was about ten or so and came up with different ways of disciplining them. I wasn’t big on hitting them in the first place, but one incident brought home the need to change.

Amy had been giving me some “trouble” one day and I spanked her for it, only to find out that Amy, as a Type I diabetic, was experiencing low blood sugar. She wasn’t responsible for her actions at that point in time, her blood chemistry was. I still can feel the shame I felt when we tested her blood and found just how low her blood sugar was. Out of all the things that I’d take back if I could, that one incident tops my list. It wasn’t just the spanking, but how I felt about her for being such a brat at the time. What I was thinking about her was totally unjustified.

It was then that I made the resolution not to hold people responsible for their actions when the problem may be their blood or brain chemistry. So please think kindly of me if I should err. You know that I wouldn’t want to and wouldn’t mean to, but life happens sometimes.

~~~~~~~~~~

So here I am, it's after ten and I'm tired. I'd like to got to bed, but I'd just have to get up in two hours to take my pain meds. Then I'll probably have trouble getting back to sleep. So I guess I'll stay up for another hour or so, take my meds a little early, and hope I fall off to sleep quickly.

This makes two posts in one day. Wow!

Hasta luego, amigos!

7 comments:

Çuzanne Larson Malliett Finnerup said...

It sounds like chemo won't leave anything alone. I hate what it's doing to you. I know I should be more positive for you. I know many things in my head but it's not my head that feels.

Unknown said...

Hey there my sweet brother... I've been working double shifts for the past bit and though I've been keeping up on your blogs, haven't posted anything to say 'hello.' I need to call you, but my last "free" night was when Amy was there and I didn't want to intrude on your time together. So my call is now overdue.

I just needed to tell you after reading your blog that I've always thought of you as a great parent - and I have no doubt that your great children feel the same way. Just the mere fact that you regret (and remember) something that happened long ago is a great supporting point!!!

I'd like to think of myself as a great parent, also. I don't brag about much, or tout my own strengths, but I believe part of being a great parent is knowing when to admit being wrong. There have been many times when I feel like I've handled things poorly - sometimes just downright wrong - and have been more than willing to admit my shortcomings. My kids always seemed to appreciate that and I am blessed with a great relationship with each of them. You are blessed with the same. You are a great father, always have been, always will be!! I have great respect for you for many reasons and that is one of them!

I am sorry that I haven't been a better sister over the many years. I should keep in touch more. I can't remember the last time I've spoke (or written) Ben and Amy. And I should be calling you much more than I do. I don't remember birthdays and am horrible at writing. But please know this... I think of you and your family often! More than you'll ever know! And I love you all so very much! It truly breaks my heart to see you struggling through this and not be able to do anything to help. How sad that it has taken something so tragic to invoke this apology. But I do love you so much. Please know that. You are the big brother I used to steam the front picture window with my chin on the window sill just waiting for you to come home for a visit. You've always been there for me - always!

And to Ben and Amy... I'm sorry that we don't know each other better. That's my fault. But despite how it may have appeared throughout the years - I love you both and am very proud of the people you've become. That may seem trite to say - but it truly comes from my heart. I hope you can know that some day. It's my shortcoming. I wish you both knew your cousins better - Tanner, Tayler and Jordan - you'd like them because they share many of your great qualities!!

Love to all - every day, every minute. (Sappy, I know, but heartfelt!)

Anonymous said...

I don't have the history with you to be sappy (although it warms my heart to read the other posts)but I'd be willing to barter for your massages if you'll hire help for my housework, too! *grin*

-HB said...

Cuz, I look at it this way. They're giving me poison that will kill me in hopes that it can kill the cancer first and then they can stop giving me the poison. In any battle, you have to expect to take some damage. This is mine.

Lorie, I always figured that our family just had a genetic lack of oxytocin in the blood and we don't bond as well as otheres. (See bonding and trust comments @ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxytocin.)

But we all have our regrets for our actions or lack of them. That's natural with getting wiser!

Maybe we should start a blog for the kids so they can keep in touch with their sibs and cousins! They do all the posting. First one to not post in a month is a doo-doo-head!!! :-)

Nettie, Nettie, Nettie!! If I understood what you said, I'd make some smart-ass comment.

"...Your massages..." I'm giving massages now? And to whom? That pond is kinda big right now!

Or was that "massages for me?" :-D

Y, habla espagnol? If you don't, how will you be able to tell my hired help what you want done? :-P

Anonymous said...

"Y, habla espagnol? If you don't, how will you be able to tell my hired help what you want done? :-P"

I'll point.

-HB said...

NETTIE!!! You're a mother!!! Didn't your mother ever teach you that it's not polite to point?

Anonymous said...

I'll point politely. :P