Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Remember 9/11, I know I'm going to!

My horoscope for today: "Positive results may slow in coming in your life right now, but other people are getting behind you more and more. Your personal cheerleader squad is growing, so your spirits will be shiny and bright. Your ambition is also starting to burn a little brighter, but you should resist taking on any more challenging projects right now. Instead, just pick the path of least resistance and wait for everyone else to get on the same page as you. It won't take too long."

So, I'd like to give a big shout out to my cheerleader squad! I'm glad that you're there for me!

And "positive results" are slow in coming right now. I hadn't been feeling well the last couple of days; I couldn't seem to eat. But I've been there before, but I still don't have a "feel" to predict what's going on. It still seems like business as usual.

Yesterday I started taking the Dexamethasone with food; no idea how that will make me feel over the long term. On Sunday, I also finished my initial bottles of Carafate and Vicodin and started new ones.

I had trouble getting to sleep, if I ever did, Sunday night. The same last night, but with a big, big, difference. So why was I feeling so crappy?

Sometimes these feelings can be associated with food, like the hot and spicy Chinese food I had a few days back. Which is why I didn't try Julie's rice pudding just yet. I wanted to be in good shape before I give it a try. So, rest easy Julie, it wasn't your pudding. And I like rice pudding. I remember getting a great recipe for rice pudding from one of Cuz's friends, Shirley, I met in Nashville when I visited there during my recuperation from my gall bladder surgery back in '88. So, I really am looking forward to trying yours! I just want to give it a fair shake.

Back to last night, I was feeling so bad, I couldn't lay down with out pain in my stomach/ diaphragm area. No matter which way I tried to lay, it hurt. I took a melatonin to try and get to sleep, but it didn't work. So, after trying to get comfortable and get to sleep for several hours, I finally broke down and called for help. I got to talk to the oncologist on call and requested some advice.

I told him how, my stomach was hurting at 6:00 PM when I took my Vicodin. But it seemed like the dose was nothing but water; there was no reduction in pain at all. I was still on the 15 mLs every six hours. So, I requested upping my doses to 15 mLs every four hours. At least until this AM when I can talk to the doctor in the office.

He suggested that I "double up," that I change to 30 mLs every four hours. By this time it was already 10:00 PM, so I changed to a new bottle of Vicodin, and took the increased dosage. Within ten minutes most of the pain had diminished considerably. There still was some pain, but at least I could get to sleep!!!!!

There still is some pain this AM, and I'm kinda shaky, but I think I'll make it through today. I found out that since I'll be on the pump at the clinic today for 5 -6 hours, I may even get some sleep at the clinic, then. :-D

Since I'll be there so long, I have to actually pack a lunch along with my meds, so I can continue my dosing while away from home. So, I'm taking my briefcase along with my lunch box so I can write up all my insurance paperwork. I'll also be working on Nettie's chart along with the help of a couple of nurses.

Well, it appears that solid food, a breakfast sandwich, won't work this AM, so sorry Amy, it's back to some ice cream and a couple of cookies in addition to my Ensure, so I can get the Dexamethasone down. I'm hoping that something like Julie's rice pudding might be able to help in situations like this. Maybe later.

Thankfully I won't have to worry about the Dexamethasone again until after I get home this afternoon.

I am hoping, and will find out more today about it, that the chemotherapy, while shrinking the tumor will also reduce the pain and discomfort associated with eating. I hope, I hope, I hope.

So, I hope things are going better for you. I heard this morning that mom's tests have turned out OK and that she's getting some relief from the Physical Therapy she's been going to. So I know there is some good news out there.

Well, that's enough for now. I'll probably post something about today's experiences later today.

Hasta luego!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You do know I was just teasing about your recent food choices, right ;-)? I'm happy you're back to eating, period. Just do whatever feels OK right now.

On that note, have you ever been a yogurt person? I can't say I remember you ever eating it, but I CAN'T live without it! I know if I'm sick, it goes down pretty easy, AND I can add wheat germ to give it some fiber and more nutritional value. They have supposedly come out with some wonder-yogurts, too, such as "Danactive" and "Activia" that are SUPPOSED to do all sorts of good things for you.... anyway, just a thought.....

Çuzanne Larson Malliett Finnerup said...

Hey, hey it's time to fight,
Everybody yell red & white.
Hey, Hey let's do it again,
Everybody yell go fight win!

-HB said...

Yes, mi hija, I was aware that you were just teasing. That's one of the things I love about you, your teasing.

I have utilized and will continue to utilize yogurts, and will definitley look into your "wonder-yogurts." Thanks for bringing them to may attention.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cuz, at first I couldn't figure out what the heck you doing with your comment. Then I remembered my "cheerleader squad" comment, and then it all made sense. So thank you for keeping me on my toes, for keeping these old brain cells working.

Anonymous said...

Re: rice pudding. Hal - the rice pudding recipe I made IS your recipe. First you made it, then your Mother made it, and I HAD to have the recipe because it tastes so good and creamy! So... I hope you're not disappointed, but it's nothing new. (Unless you were refering to some other great recipe that you didn't share!) This is the only kind of rice pudding I make now. Hope it tastes like you remember it to!

-HB said...

Isn't it amazing how a recipe can make the rounds. It came from a friend of Cuzanne's when I was recuperating in Nashville after my gall bladder surgery.