Wednesday, September 12, 2007

OK, I'm up.

I have an appointment today with the audiologist, so I wanted to get something posted before I had to leave. I could almost use a secretary to schedule all my events for me.

I'm 194 pounds today. That's up from a low of 177, so the ice cream must be helping. :-) But I really don't believe that I'm eating all that much to account for the weight gain. Personally, I'm not looking to gain weight, just to gain weight. I'd like to maintain my current weight; I just want to transfer those junk calories into healthy calories.

BP is high normal so the chemo hasn't started kicking my bp's butt yet.

Dry mouth is not quite so dry, but I'll still look into the slippery elm lozenges. Thanks for the heads up, Cuz.

Now, the "changes" in therapy. I don't know what to say. I had an email last night addressing this issue as well which I will reproduce my response here, in part:

You're confused? I'M CONFUSED!

I understand that there are all these options that may be taken given ideal circumstances. As more info is gathered, "things change!" Plans have to be revised, etc. Factor in a "fill-in doctor," apparently he's here from the Twin Cities, filling in for six weeks or so, and apparently he's mine for now. So all I can say is what I'm hearing for right now. Add in the fact that when this doctor bounces out of the room to check on something, comes back in, then bounces out again, back in again, then out......and never comes back, it's hard to get answers to questions that way.

I have to go back in for some lab work and a consultation on the 21rst. Maybe by then I'll have my list of questions, and he'll have a better understanding of what is going on. This was his second day in-house.

Then again, it may have something to do with the fact that they believe that I can't be cured, and my HealthCare Power of Attorney isn't looking for "heroic efforts," although I wouldn't consider such surgery "heroic efforts."

Hope that this helps. And if you have any questions that you would like answers to, let me know and I'll make special efforts to get answers for you.

For example, I still don't "know" my schedule, or gameplan, for my chemotherapy. Not well enough that I can take it to work to schedule my work there, barring unforseen complications due to "side-effects." I do know that October 3 I go back for another round of Chemo, October 8 to get the pump removed after it's 5-day run, and then I should go back for a PET scan shortly thereafter. I see I have an appointment for October 10 with the GI department, but don't really know what that is unless it's the GI Dept. follow-up. Too many bosses.... But, that's all I know; maybe that's all they know. They will play it by ear.

And, as I said somewhere, I started the day yesterday scheduled for only one drug for chemo and ended up with all three.

Well, I need to get going. Gotta have my ice cream and cookies to get my meds down, then run out to get some healthier choices in the house, look up some slippery elm, etc. Then come home, finish loading up my scheduler, research slippery elm and the drugs I'm on (they warn against a lot of herbal remedies) and I want to start a post about the side-effects I'm having to keep things in focus for me (my memory isn't working as well as I'd like) and to keep you guys up-to-date. You might see something I didn't think of.

As Ronny says:

TTFN

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What about adding protein powder to your ice cream - and maybe a banana? I've been using a 100% whey protein found in health stores for years - but I use the kind that is not meant to pack on weight (for OBVIOUS reasons - lol). There are weight-gaining formulas that are very nutritious for athletes, body builders, etc. You might look into it as it would add significant nutrition for your day.

Love you tons!!
Snickelfritz

-HB said...

I started using lean whey protein well over a year ago. I'd make a smoothie for breakfast using bananananananas (sp?) and frozen strawberries, with Jumex strawberry and Banana Juice, and Ovaltine, and the protein powder. I'd mix different fruits into the mix as the tastes changed.

Then I got started on some medication that had to be taken on an empty sotmach. So, I couldn't have my smoothie in the morning. I had to eat more "regular" food.

Most of the beverages and shakes mentioned in their documentation use lower quality proteins than the ones you and I use, but that's fine. I can upgrade.

As I mentioned, I'm not looking to add weight, just improve the nutrition. And it wouldn't hurt to get rid of the fat! I need to be able to eat, first. Once I can find something I can "stomach" then I worry about how I can improve it. "They" are looking for me to be getting 105 - 130 grams of protein per day. So your recommendation would help me get there easier.

So, thanks for your suggestion on how I can achieve that goal.