Monday, September 24, 2007

Fritz, the Cat

That’s it! I’m going to have to go on a diet. I hit 181 pounds this morning. That’s six pounds up from the recent basement!

~~~~~~~~~~

I never was much of one for reading horoscopes; that is, until Robin, that is. I started to pay attention to them, then, and have ever since. At a minimum, they’re harmless fun. And, I might learn something useful from them as well.

Take today’s horoscope for instance:


“You need to start understanding that expressing yourself is necessary to get you to the next level of happiness. In other words, for a healthier life, you need to share your feelings -- no matter what they are. So today, whenever you feel something, express it in the most original and creative way you can. Singing, dancing, cooking or even just goofing around are all great ways to display how you're feeling. If you keep your emotions inside or mask them, you'll be wasting your time.”
I’m not saying there’s going to be any dancing going on, today, but you never know…..

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ben and I stayed up late last night watching movies. And, I slept very well afterward.

One of those family traditions that I’ve always enjoyed with the kids was watching movies. When we go to Florida on vacation, we still try to take in at least one movie in the theater. I remember watching movies like Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights in the University Square Mall with my daughter (I think Ben Begged off that one) and treasure those moments. And, we would rent movies and watch one or two at home, which is why I’m now looking forward to a Shrek Marathon.

So, watching movies at home last night with Ben was a continuation of that tradition. That’s not to say that Ben and I don’t go out occasionally to see something in the theater; we do. But just sitting around the house last night was nice.

We watched 300, a movie that I’d been wanting to see for some time about King Leonidas and the Spartan stand at Thermopylae.

We also watched Aqua Teen Hunger Force. It was somewhat interesting, but since I was up long past my normal bedtime, I fell asleep often during the movie. I guess you would have to be a fan to understand the movie.

I did find out reading the link for the movie that some characters from the movie, the Mooninites, were the subject of the guerilla marketing campaign featuring circuit boards with flashing LED lights that the Boston Police Department went nuts over in January of this year, reportedly spending over $1 Million dollars investigating the “bomb threat.” Boston was the only city of the ten major cities involved in the marketing campaign that overreacted.

See, I do learn things from my kids.

~~~~~~

As I said, I slept well. I was somewhat late taking my 10:00PM PC so I took only one, figuring I’d be taking another at 2:00AM. But somehow, I slept through the alarm, missing that dose. I woke up without ill effect at 5:30 to commune with Mother Nature and caught up with my dosing schedule. Then I fell back asleep and slept well until almost 10:00.

It’s looking like a pretty good day, people!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nancy stopped by yesterday for a while. We talked about a variety of things and she taught me how to play Go Fish.

I can see I’m gonna have to run up North some weekend. I’ve been away for way too long. And BTW, Nancy, it was the North Country Inn we were trying to think of. See, all the stuff you can find on the Internet!!

~~~~~~~~~

As the “Blogger” here, I get notification when someone responds with a comment to one of my previous posts. I believe that if you were to sign up for an account with blogspot or with Gmail (something I highly recommend) that you would be able to get notifications of new posts, and possibly be notified of new comments too.

So, when I got up at 5:30AM, I checked my email and found that there was a response to my post “Comment Replies” from my sister, Lorie, concerning Fritz, the cute kitten/ cat that my “blushing bride” of nineteen brought to our marriage, he was on my mind as I fell asleep.

Now, “Fritz,” as the name for a cat, isn’t all that unusual. But, in this case, the timing is suspect.

You see, in the 60’s there was an underground comic book character called Fritz, the Cat. And, in 1972, an animated film was produced about that character.

What was so unusual about this film is quite simple:

“…the film was the first animated feature film to receive an X rating in the United States. It focuses on Fritz (voiced by Skip Hinnant), an anthropomorphic feline in the mid-1960s who seduces many female animals in New York City while staying one step ahead of the law. The film is a satire focusing on American college life of the era, race relations, the free love movement, and left- and right-wing politics. Fritz the Cat was the first independent animated film to gross more than $100 million at the box office.”
I’d never seen a VHS copy of the film, but when the DVD became available in 2001, I scarfed it up immediately!!

Now, I was raised in a religion where everything was a sin, including frequenting the theater. You could watch a movie on TV, but you couldn’t see it in the theater without being in jeopardy of going to Hell. And Heaven help you if you got caught going to the movies.

In 1972, I was going to that religion’s major College near Chicago. There were folks who would go down to the local theaters just to see if they could spot the college kids attending the local movies. They’d then squeal to the Dean about all “the sinnin’ goin’ on in town.”

However, it was nothing to go to the theaters in Chicago and see the college’s administrative people, even the Dean himself, standing in line outside the big city theaters.

In ’72, I believe I was spending more time in the Dean’s office than I was in class.

Now, Kris’ friend, Michelle, swore that the movie had nothing to do with the naming of the cute little kitten that group of teenaged girls gave to their friend, Kris, in late ’72 or early ’73.

Yeah, RIGHT!

So Fritz, that cute little bundle of fur that eventually grew up into the cat with so much character, became much more than a cat to me. He became an icon for that entire period in my life. It still surprises me the strong emotions that the mention of that cat evokes when I think about him.

Rest in Peace, Fritz. We still love you!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, we do still love Fritz. I will always remember that lovely animal, for what he was and what he meant to all of us. He got me through a couple of very difficult times in my life, and shared so much of the joy as well. He loved everyone, and let them know it.
Iv've always wondered what he thought he was. He was so very tiny when the girls got him for me, for his mother had died, and the kittens were dying. He was so tiny and weak that he could not even drink milk by himself. First I used an eyedropper, then a doll bottle, and then I weaned him. This is the cat that came with me into marraige, and welcomed the children along with us.
He always thought that he was just like us, and would go on walks with us without a leash, ride in the car with us, and even enjoyed fast food. He had a way of eating french fries like a person, sort of, by spearing them with his claws. he came to love Hal as much as he loved me, and contnued to charm everyone else he met.
all mine, Kris

Anonymous said...

And by the way , Hal, I have never seen the "Fritz the Cat" movie, and I do not plan to, because that name means something very different and special to me.
all mine, KMMK

Unknown said...

I'm catching up tonight - lost the computer to a virus or something. Wasn't able to access most of the programs, least of all explorer. A few virus checks, a bazillion hours of scanning, and here I am. :)

I actually think of Fritz often now. I had an experience in San Diego that I've shared with you, Hal, that has convinced me that when we're blessed with such a special relationship with our furry friends, they tend to watch over us after they cross over. I won't elaborate here, but I know you understand, Hal.

The kids and I adopted a kitten from the shelter almost four years ago. He was also very tiny and much too young to be away from his mom. They told us he was eight weeks old, but I highly doubt it. He was so tiny and got sick right when we brought him home. We also fed him by a dropper. Ironically, he looks very similar to Fritz and so it brings me back to my memories of when I lived with my big brother and his beautiful wife. And Amy, the picture your dad posted of you is so very sweet. You and Ben were such great kids! When I picture living there, I picture the two of you with ice cream from head to toe!! Anyhoo... "Nacho" reminds me quite a bit of Fritz - also not quite convinced he's a cat! I think he was a lion in a previous life (lol).

Anyway, those are good memories!!

-xxoo

-HB said...

Lorie, I know how it is to lose a computer. My desktop got messed up last year when I tried to change Anti-Virus protection. So I had to buy a laptop which I currently use.

But I did get my desktop working again until recently when it blew the power supply. I just replaced that this week, only to find that it still won't work. I'd like to get it working as a backup to my laptop.

I do believe that cats are truly amazing critters. Mousebane has been a comfort, showing up when he wants some attention. He hasn't been real cuddly yet, but I'm hoping.

It's nice you have a visual reminder of Fritz. I'm going to have to browse through my photos to see if I have any good photos of Fritz that I can scan and put on the computer.

Kris, I can understnd your feelings about the movie. But, I don't think that it detracts from the memory of Fritz at all; it just adds to the understanding of that period of personal history.

-HB said...

No sooner than I had posted my last comment here when Mousebane showed up with great fanfare. So I dug out the laser pointer and wore him out jumping for the dot on the wall!!

The problem with laser pointers is that they show all the tremors in the hand.