Thursday, September 27, 2007

Feliz Cumpleaños!

Well. I guess I didn’t run into the person yesterday’s horoscope warned me about, although Nettie did direct me to where I could find someone like that.

Speaking of Nettie, in case you missed her comment on the You Know Who You Are post, she’s a grandma again. Her daughter had a bouncing baby boy, Emerson, on Tuesday, September 25. To quote grandma, “He weighed in at 6 lb. 11 oz. and was 20 1/2 inches long. He's absolutely perfect! Very alert.”

So, in honor of the occasion, and after waiting to garner permissions to use the photos, I’d like to present Nettie, her grandson Tommie (who gave me a good-bye kiss when he was in town last year. I told you there was kissing going on!), and her newest grandson, Emerson.

Now, grandma is a very busy person. Quite frankly I don’t see how she keeps up with everything she does. You see, Nettie is also a quilter; she makes quilts. I’m including a picture of Emerson’s nursery that grandma had a big hand in helping decorate.

I stand in awe. Ok, I’m actually sitting in awe, but she still impresses the heck outa me with all the quilts she’s produced. And BTW, that's Brianna in the lower left, second grandchild and first granddaughter.

~~~~~~~~~~

It’s kinda funny. Back when I wasn’t eating, my rheumatism went away. Now that I’m eating again, the rheumatism, and the pain associated with it, came back.

So, it would sound to me like rheumatism is a food-based auto-immune system response to something in my diet.

I’m going to have to pursue that line of thought.

~~~~~~~~~~

In case you didn’t catch Ronny’s comment, he and Cuzanne have purchased tickets to the States. They’ll be landing in Chicago on December 22.

Welcome home, guys!

~~~~~~~

Finally, if you’re wondering what the title of this post means, it says “Happy Birthday.” Yes, it refers in part to Emerson’s birth on Tuesday. But it also refers to another birth that was very near and dear to me 29 years ago.

When my son was born 31 years ago, they didn’t allow fathers in the delivery room. I’ve always regretted not being there to welcome my son into this world; the chance to start bonding at the very beginning.

So, when my daughter was born, they couldn’t keep me away. The doctor was understandably concerned that an expectant father might be a little queasy about the goings-on in the delivery room. The expectant mother soon put those fears to rest, however. She told the doctor that the father had spent time on the farm and that if she just “moo-ed” a little bit, he’d feel right at home.

That doctor nearly fell off his stool he was laughing so hard.

And the expectant father did just fine. He watched, in amazement, as his first daughter made her appearance into this world. He marveled that she didn’t cry unless folks were messing with her. When they stopped cleaning her up, she stopped fussing, and started looking all around the room, taking it all in.

My daughter continues to amaze me.

Happy Birthday, Amy!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I don’t see how she keeps up with everything she does."

One foot in front of the other and the housekeeping can always wait until tomorrow. *grin*

Thank you for showcasing my babies.

Anonymous said...

Nettie, congratulations on your grandchild! Or grandchildren,I should say.
This is a very special day. Our beautiful, darling daughter was born on this day. It amazes me that so much time has gone by in such a short time, if you know what I mean.
I woke up at six am again, just like I always do on Amys' b-day, for that is the time the nurse said, "let's go have a baby".
I was so thrilled to have my girl at last. I had my son, and knew that this was my last chance to have a baby, and so wanted a girl. Hal, do you remember the origin of the nickname "girlface?" I surely do. It always amazes me that I had a part in creating these amazing people, Ben and Amy.
I now refer to Amy as my beautiful little professor, for that she is.
all mine, KmmK

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much, Kris. I've loved/love raising my children but grandchildren are THE best!

Anonymous said...

Thanks, everybody, for my birthday wishes. And in case anyone is worried - NO! I'm not freaking out about it being the last year of my 20's (since I turn 29 today). Everyone keeps telling me "turning 30 will be harder than 40," but I'm just not feeling it. I don't think I'll stress it that much.

And I agree, Nettie! My favorite kitchen plaque says, "A well-kept house is the sign of a mis-spent life."

Anonymous said...

Since we're talking about the pics posted, I have a question about that pic of me! Now, don't get me wrong, I LOVE that pic. I think I'm adorable in it ;-)! BUT, who the heck did my hair that day ;-)? Did I do that, thinkin it looked good ;-)? Was that side-sweep thing in style ;-)? Just curious... I've always wondered that whenever I see that pic ;-).

-HB said...

Nettie, I don't need thanks to show off babies; it's something that comes naturally to me. I've always been fascinated by them and so I tend to share my fascination.

Kris, you know I don't recall where "girlface" came from. I remember how I used to call our firstborn, Ben, "The Kid," until someone pointed out how that could sound derogatory. It wasn't meant to, so I discontinued the practice. I loved him too much to have people think that I didn't like him.

I remember how I had you (I thought) convinced that you would have a second boy because you had your heart set on a daughter. Just trying to get things set up in case you did have another boy. Thankfully, my precautions weren't necessary.

OK, OK, Amy, you've made your point!! I look at your picture and I don't see your hair. I see a beautiful smile, and a representation of 29 years of love, and counting. So I guess I shouldn't worry about my hair falling our more than it already has, because it's not the hair that counts.

To answer your question, I don't know why your hair ended up that way that day. I seem to recall that it was somethng that you were trying at the time. But that's just a vague recollection; don't hold me to it.

Çuzanne Larson Malliett Finnerup said...

I think it's an adorable pic.