Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Amy Watch 2

“Age does not diminish the extreme disappointment of having a scoop of ice cream fall from the cone.” -Jim Fiebig

The same goes for watching your child, adult as they are, leaving with their “kids” to return to their home far, far, away after staying for almost three weeks. Now I’m depressed.

It was fun having Amy and her “monsters” here, even though I didn’t always feel up to it; I had both kids and their pets with me. It reminded me of happy times when the kids were young. It was the best Christmas present they could have given me followed closely by the big heavy blue bathrobe that withstands even winter’s chill when out letting the “monsters” take care of business before getting into the van for the return trip.

Amy left this morning at 8:00AM to return home. To keep folks apprised about her progress, I’ll do the same with this post that I did for her trip up.

I have this post set for Jan 10, so it will stay under my "sticky" schedule when I add other posts this week since I will be bored with little to do when Ben goes to work!

1/1/08
08:00AM -Amy left! :-(
10:10AM -Crossing over into Illinois! The dogs are "moping and whining."
12:05PM -Passing Kankakee where the kids were born. She's now driving in snow and will have snow down past Effingham. She sends me text messages and asks for mileage and weather reports! I look things up on the Internet and text her answers back. Ain't technology wunnerful?
03:15PM -Passing Effingham, IL. Still snowing.
04:28PM -Sunshine!!!!
06:00PM -Past Paducah, KY. Looking to stop the night in Franklin just south of Nashville.
07:17PM -She made Tennessee!
08:15PM -She just got to the hotel in Franklin. She's beat after12 hours and the dogs are rarin' to go! Hopefully she'll get them calmed down for the night. Anticipating an early start in the AM.

Sweet dreams, all!

1/2/08
08:45AM -Got a text message that says she's in Georgia. Four hours to cross GA and another three to get to Tampa and she's home. I asked when she left, 'cause I was waiting for her text message to wake me up early. She said she left at daybreak, which for Franklin was around 6:58 this AM. Allowing for the time change, that would have been about 6:00AM my time. So, see you back here about 1:00PM!
03:13PM -Just got into Florida. I didn't find out why she took so long. Probably stopped for lunch and to potty the monsters.
05:56PM -Our time, Amy just got home!

Sorry I didn't keep this up-to-date in real time. Had some fun here with the doctors. It seems I have a blood clot. But now that I've given the spoiler, I'll update you in another post.

But Amy is home safe and sound.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How hard that must have been. I'll watch Amy's progress with you but I know it's not going to be as exciting as the first watch was.

Perhaps later, if you feel up to it, you can share some photos of the visits from various family members you've had over the past couple of weeks.

*hugs*

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed you are writing this for next week -- January 10?

As sad as it may be to have Amy and 'kids' return home - I hope you are able to say "ahhhhh" and enjoy some quiet as well.