Wednesday, October 10, 2007

One Big Post or Many Smaller Posts?

I HAVE been trying to post lately, even though both my kids were home.

It’s just that I kept trying to put everything into one big, although edited, daily post, which meant considerable editing each time I tried to put something together. And, after several days of not posting, that approach wasted a lot of time, unfortunately. Besides, the media lends itself to multiple smaller posts quite nicely, so why not make many smaller posts?

Unfortunately, getting to that decision isn’t as easy as it seems. Part of my “conditions” is a degradation of my thought processes. It is harder, now, for me to think logically and rationally. Although I haven’t seen reference to it in my limited reading, one can learn a lot from the questions asked by the doctors and nurses. But I’ll talk more about that later, if I remember.

So, I’ll be posting thoughts, not necessarily in any particular order, just to get things out here and still take care of my personal needs.

Speaking of which, I dropped my daughter off at the airport last night. Now, you have to know, I’m the kind of parent who used to stay right there at the airport until my child was on the plane, the plane had taken off, and was no longer visible in the sky. Tyranny has changed all that. And lately, they’ve had help from some fast-growing cells.

We got to the airport early, got her all checked in and stopped to grab a bite to eat. OK, she ate; I watched. With the change in the pain meds my S-FX (Side-Effects) have been changing a little. I actually felt hunger for the first time in months yesterday. Twice! But along with that was an increase in stomach “sensation.” Now, I’m not calling it “nausea,” although I could possibly characterize it that way. With a tumor in my stomach, I can’t eat enough to really have to worry too much about food in my stomach.

But, I’m starting to ramble…

I watched Amy eat some of her “bear stew,” minus the bear, and drink her ice tea. We walked up by the “security” checkpoint, talked for a while, and then I begged off hanging around. Now you know something is wrong right there; remember the “aircraft out of sight?” We hugged goodbye, she made it through the checkpoint, this time, and we waved good-bye for a last time. Then I made my way home.

There was something wrong with my glasses, I guess; I kept having trouble seeing.

So, I was home and in bed before her plane got off the ground.

Yeah, I was pretty beat. I decided that I wouldn’t even try to stay up and do anything like post to this blog. So, as soon as I had taken my 6:00PM meds, I sent Amy a text message telling her what was up and went to bed. I slept until my midnight meds. My son came home from work shortly thereafter so I got up, talked with him for a while, set some things up for this morning, and by that time, Amy should have arrived at her airport. So, another brief TM (text message) exchange to hear that she had landed just fine, and it was back to bed.

I overslept my 6:00AM meds alarm, apparently without ill effects, got up to put some food in my stomach, and to get this missive off to my cheerleading squad on the blog. Now, it’s not even 9:00AM yet and I’m already starting to droop.

I went into this round of chemo in better shape than the last time. And, they were supposed to reduce the doses by 20%. However, I did wear the pump for the full five days instead of three like the last time.

So with my daughter coming home, my desire to spend as much time with her as possible, everyone wanting to stop by to see Amy and me, and the changes in the chemo, I tried to do it all and found that I couldn’t. So I had to let some things slide. I’m sorry, but it was the blog.

Now, I think I’m going to go take a nap and see if I can’t post something later.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so glad that you had the opportunity to spend time with both Amy and Ben!! The picture, though a bit fuzzy, was really nice to see.

The airplane out of sight thing might be a family trait. ??? I did the same with Tanner and Tayler as they made their numerous trips to see their dad in Wyoming. Still do. And I remember the few times I flew into Appleton, no matter who was taking me to the airport for the return flight, I knew that when I turned back, I'd see them waiting and waving until I was well out of sight. That's a nice thing. A really great feeling.

Anyhoo... I love you, my dear brother! My thoughts and love are always with you.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you enjoyed your visit with Amy. I was missing your posts but it was totally understandable and not a bit unexpected that you'd be too busy while she was here.