Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Symptoms…

Now, I advise you to reconsider whether or not you want to read this post. It will contain descriptions of graphic symptoms in keeping with my use of this blog as a diary that may not be in keeping with your use of the blog.

Reader, Beware!

In retrospect, maybe I shouldn’t be quite so grateful to Becky for her actions when I walked into the VLCC this morning. As soon as I croaked my name and that I didn’t have an appointment and that I’d like to see someone, she was up and off like a shot (whatever that means) and returned almost instantly with news that she had a nurse coming as soon as one could get free. PDQ! Something a customer likes to see.

Now, it did take a while for a nurse to free up—did I mention that I didn’t have an appointment?—but Becky kept an eye on me. She even came out to where I was waiting to reassure me that a nurse was coming.

I must have looked like I felt. And for that to get fast action in a Cancer Clinic must have been pretty bad.

They finally took me in back, drew some blood from my implanted port to get lab tests started, and then we talked. I told them about the 16 pound weight loss over the weekend, the diarrhea that wouldn’t be controlled by Wal Mart’s version of Imodium AD, the constant awful-smelling gas, the rumbling intestinal sound effects, hemorrhoid #3 (I have had so few, they’re actually numbered), the inability to swallow due to sores at the back of the mouth

Nurse Cate got me started, but Nurse Diane, I believe, hooked me up to some fluids to get me started rehydrating while we talked and waited for test results.

Now, that‘s not to say that Diane hung around; she had other things to do. And I was more than happy to doze in the chair. I would like to have slept but dozing was fine.

Long story short, what White Blood Cell Count? Although I had had some aches and pains from the shot I had on Friday to stimulate the white blood cell recovery, the WBCs hadn’t taken off yet.

So, I have new meds for treating diarrhea, an antibiotic to treat the mouth sores and other infections, and a “miracle mouthwash” that is an oral topical pain-killer. I take it before taking the rest of the meds.

Now, it’s taken me several hours to jot this down, what with my bathroom habits and all. And, all the ways I get to play with my meds just to consume them is starting to get to be an irritation as well; “Take this first so I can take the pills, so I can take the awful tasting pain meds.” In addition to not feeling very well. Now I am starting to get depressed!

Maybe I’ll get a good night’s sleep…

Nurse Diane will be calling me tomorrow unless I show up at the VLCC first.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry you're having such a tough time of it. I wish I had the wit and humor needed to cheer you however, I've always been more the serious type. If I were closer I'd dance a jig for you...that'd be a guaranteed laugh....at least it is for my grandson. *grin*

Unknown said...

My heart breaks to hear that you've had such a night. I'm so sorry!! Please know that we all love you and would help in any way that we could. Instead... we just sit by, pray, and send you our love!!

-HB said...

Having nothing to go by, I have no way of knowing how chemo will treat me. So, for now, it looks like it is "kicking my butt" as Amy put it.

But it helps to know that there are people who care about what happens to me. And I thank you for it.

And Nettie, just seeing one of your patented *grin* emoticons usually brings a grin to my face.

What ever happened to those "butticons" I sent you long ago? Maybe I could use them here. I found 'em, back in June of '05, only they were called "assicons."
But here is one that is most fitting right now, (_*_), the sore ass!