Friday, September 14, 2007

Pump-less!!!!

You will never know how good it feels to get rid of that pump. Oh, the needles and the port were just fine; it was the "tethered" feeling all the time. Having to worry about where the hose was and everything that went with it.



I spoke of pictures, so I think it's time to show you. The first, actually the last photo taken, shows the implant site, with a little bruising from the needle and what's left over from the actual surgery. I hope that you can see the bump from the implant showing up. I can even feel the catheter running from the site up over the clavicle, the collarbone, and then back down into the chest. Incredible!








The next photo is the way the set up came home, the needle in the port and the dressing covering the site to reduce the chances of contamination. You can see the yellow clamp and the connector hanging down from the bandage covered needle.


Now, I don't have any pictures of the Duct Taped fun that I had the first night to try and keep things out of the way. But I do have photos of the way it eventually turned out with the surgical tape.







You can see the tubing hanging down from the needle in the center of the bandage. The tubing goes down through the yellow clamp, to the left back up to the connector, where that loop of the tubing was taped to my chest. The the tubing ran up to the hollow of the neck where it was taped to the shoulder with some cloth medical tape.



From there, the tubing ran out the top of my PJs and was attached to the pump itself, although in this photo it drops back down between the yellow clamp and my n...., my n....., can I say that word here?



All this just to get to sleep! I'll be able to turn over in bed tonight!



Oh, and just in the interest of accuracy, the tubing was six feet long; it just seemed like it was only two feet long trying to take a shower.



Grossed out, yet? Well, there are no more photos of this for you!



I have found out that drinking mineral water is a lot better than drinking the pure water for my purposes. It doesn't leave one quite as parched; something to remember. And I love mineral water anyway. I just drank the pure stuff cause it was supposed to be better for you.



I talked to one of the nurses--Ben, you remember Cate, the Irish lass--about my Carafate. It seems they want me to eat more than they want me to take that medication. So, I agreed to take it along with my pain meds in the middle of the night when I'm not eating anyway and to forgo the pleasure during the day. I'm sure I'll find out later why they want me taking it, but for right now, I'd rather eat.



Speaking of eating, I stopped at Taco Bell on the way home. The spicy chicken taco is off the menu, for now anyway. I tried the beef burrito and their new cheesy beef burrito. I couldn't eat much, it wasn't all that great, but it did go down and set pretty well on my stomach. it's not on my favorite list yet, but it's a change from Ensure, thank God!



And Amy, I promise to try your wonder yogurt tomorrow.

As for my banana smoothie this morning, I gave up and added ice cream like the recipes suggested.

I am feeling a lot better since the pump came off, but that could just be psychological. We'll see. Then I got another shot to help increase my WBC counts (white blood cells, :-) which may cause some discomfort in the larger bones where the body manufactures WBCs. I'll just have to wait and see.

I got a card from Aunt Lil today, letting me know that her prayers are with me, which I appreciated. She included an inspirational poem in her card that reminded me of one that I have liked since my college days, called Desiderata. It never hurts to be reminded of something that you believe in.

Now, most of you know that I don't often talk about my "feelings," although I have had some good discussions lately. But one portion of Desiderata has been something I've held on to for, oh, so many years when things get rough. It goes like this:

Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth. Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be. And whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

Now, OK, I will grant I haven't gracefully surrendered the things of youth; I'm still a kid at heart. But it is great comfort to know that, whether or not it is clear to me, the universe is unfolding as it should.

Good night!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're in preety good shape for 56!