Monday, September 10, 2007

I've screwed up already!

I went to bed about 8:00PM last night. I read for a while trying to fall off to sleep but, for some reason, couldn't. :-) About 9:30 I turned out the light and tried harder to fall asleep. It wasn't working; too much on my mind. Then I was brought to full awareness at 11:10. I had been given medication that I was supposed to start the day before chemo and I'd completely forgotten it. I hadn't followed Nettie's advice and made up a big chart. Well that's gonna change.

So I'll call them at 7:30 when they open and see what they have to say. The medication, Dexamethasone, is meant to reduce the edema or swelling side-effects of the chemotherapy.

Just great! Maybe they'll hang a bag or two of EDTA to help improve my memory. I'll talk more about that later.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My brother, Bill, and his wife, Julie, stopped by last night. Julie brought some food for when I'm able to eat again. The rice pudding might be just fine now; I'm looking forward to trying it later today. The Sausage Spaghetti Pie might be problematic, however. I've tried Beefaroni and wasn't able to eat that, but I've had the Sausage, Egg and Cheese Biscuit and was able to eat that. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

But thanks, Julie, for both the food and the thought.

We retired to the back yard for some conversation while Julie tried out the swing. I wish I had had my camera. Between Bill and I, we had her swinging way up there. The long arc makes the ride pretty enjoyable as well. Julie would swing by with the wind streaming her hair back looking for all the world just like a little kid! She'll be back.

My friend Teo reminds me quite often that I told him long ago that inside every old person is a young person asking the question, "What the heck happened?" When I see folks on that swing, I have to think of that question.

No comments: