Monday, August 27, 2007

My appointment with my surgeon...

OK, so these posts won't be going in chronological order, but this will bring everyone up-to-date.

Nice surgeon, kind of chubby, but not overly so. White hair and beard like mine, so I took to him right off.

After we did the obligatory Q & A, and exam, he explained what he would do for me and when. It will be his recommendation that I undergo the chemo- and radiation therapy first before he gets into the game. That would mean that I wouldn't be seeing him again for 6 to 8 weeks. That's good, I think. Unless of course, I need a port under my skin for the chemotherapy injections. He said that he would do that for me as well.

As for how the surgery will proceed, don't read further if you are faint of heart. I'm warning you!!

He will start by cutting my throat! Then, they open up my abdomen over the stomach. That scar should go well together with my gall bladder surgery scar!

Going back to the throat, they sever my esophagus and pull it out the abdominal incision. Next, they will cut my stomach to sever the esophagus altogether. Out that goes! Now, obviously, the portion of the stomach left should be in good shape. If it isn't, I don't know where they will go from there.

After they have the stomach in good shape, they'll thread my stomach back up into my chest and attach it directly to the stub of the esophagus that they left just for that purpose. Aren't they smart?

Tighten things up and then close up! Simple!

Now for those of you who haven't thought about it, the esophagus runs between the spinal column and the heart itself. So, my stomach will be between my spine and my heart. Now, my stomach has always been near and dear to my heart as evidenced by my almost 250 pounds a couple of years back. But this is ridiculous!

This procedure means that I will have to eat small meals, many times a day. No more gorging! And, I won't be able to eat late in the day because of the possibility that my late lunch will revisit me when I lay down for the night. It wouldn't do to aspirate my stomach contents!

So, that was today's visit. As you may know, I have a visit scheduled for Friday, August 31, with the oncology department to find out just exactly when and how the rest of my life will proceed.

Thanks for stopping by and checking up on me!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for starting the blog. Excellent way for us to keep up on your news. Do you have someone nearby who can update this should you not feel up to it?

You'll continue to be in my thoughts and I'll be sending positive energy your way.

-HB said...

Thanks, Nettie, for the positive energy!! I can use all I can get.

And thanks for the suggestion. You know, I had the same thought as I lie awake this morning trying to get back to sleep. I'll be taking that up with my kids. You know me, I want some back up in case something ever happens to the moderator! :-)

And, HEY, you were my first commentor! Welcome aboard!

Anonymous said...

It sounds like they are taking out a lot of the esophagus. You did a real good job describing that. I thought people ended up having to eat smaller more frequent meals because part of the stomach is removed.